Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

monitor learning/training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crocdoc
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How short your memory is.

You posted a 'training log' in which you explained how you put a frightened monitor into deep water to exhaust it because you didn't like (nor understand) the way it was behaving. You were then surprised when it flipped over in the water and went catatonic.

You posted how your savs free roam 24/7 and that you don't need basking lights for them because you wholeheartedly believe they are endothermic.

You've posted several videos showing incredibly, unbelievably, obscenely obese savs.

Make that 'sav'. You've made it known publicly that two of the three monitors you've owned have died very early.

What more do I need to know? Your husbandry sucks.
Michael C
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, let the people read the contents of the paper, along with the thread including the other reference and see what they think. Interestingly, everyone seems to see things the way they really are, except you, despite evidence. Since you love definitions, the previous sentence defines “delusional”. If you really think that I changed my thinking just to fit your monitor-lethal form of husbandry, think again. You can look through every post of every forum that I have posted on and you will never see me congratulating someone on exceptional growth rates. In the end, you are just another piece of evidence and what importance are exceptional growth rates when the end result is less than 10% of a potential lifespan?

I find it most interesting that you trash the work of herpetologists, when their evidence does not fit into your beliefs (see definition above again). So far, you have talked badly about the work of Thomas Ziegler, Wolfgang Böhme, Daniel Bennett and Rick Shine, among others. Will the works of Robert Mertens, Eric Pianka and Walter Auffenberg will next? Unfortunately, you I do not think you not going to find any herpetologist to agree with you. So far, it appears that the only ones who have agreed with anything that you have had to say or post are those that know even less than you, although I did not think that to be possible.

You would be ridiculously funny, if you did not kill off your animals and set a terrible example for others to follow. You seem to crave attention by evidence of you bragging about how many ‘youtube’ views you have received, but in the end, you will only be remembered as ‘The Sav Slayer’ and I almost forgot: as the one that brought water boarding to monitor husbandry Rolling Eyes
gabb13
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bio.usyd.edu.au/Shinelab/publications/reprints/354growthtodeath.pdf

there you all go. michael has challenged you to read it.
he is very sure you won't but will instead TAKE HIS WORD.

it's not all ignorant children here, but i would not bet against his estimate because i know anger and envy flourishes on a fertile substrate.

notice the list of famous names he invokes in his incantation- didn't they just put you in a state of awe? how could anybody not respect those NAMES?
notice the conspicuous lack of factual content- allegations of insult with nothing but HIS WORD to 'prove' it.

while he points a finger at me and howls 'deluded' he is sweetly lying through his teeth to you with complete confidence of his impunity and with your gratitude. just sit back and TAKE HIS WORD. he likes you stupid.

you're right, michael. they won't read the paper - they will take your WORD. lovely. now you are perfectly surrounded by idiots, as you were always meant to be. it's a marriage fate decreed. Smile

let's see where we are in about 6 months. buh byee.
Michael C
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabb13 wrote:
notice the list of famous names he invokes in his incantation- didn't they just put you in a state of awe? how could anybody not respect those NAMES?
notice the conspicuous lack of factual content- allegations of insult with nothing but HIS WORD to 'prove' it.

while he points a finger at me and howls 'deluded' he is sweetly lying through his teeth to you with complete confidence of his impunity and with your gratitude. just sit back and TAKE HIS WORD. he likes you stupid.

You really do have a short/selective memory as commented by someone above. Here is what you said about the work of the first two that I listed specifically concerning the following work:
Ziegler, T., and W. Böhme (1997) Genitalstrukturen und Paarungsbiologie bei squamaten Reptilien, speziell den Platynota, mit Bemerkungen zur Systematik. Mertensiella 8: 1-207.

Here is the link: http://www.varanus.nl/forum1/viewtopic.php?id=388&p=1
Here is what you had to say about their work:
danceswithsavs wrote:
um.... did it say anywhere what was the size of the animal from which the drawing was made? That's a detail which can not be disregarded. The absolute measurements need to be related to the size of the animal dissected. To say that a V. exanthematicus hemiclitoris must be 6mm wide is ridiculous. To say that a bosc hemipenis must be 1 cm wide is also ridiculous. That is very obvious.

i have more than one animal to look at, as you know. Buzzy's hemipenis is 2 cm wide at the base. That is also twice the size of the one in the drawing, right? So one may not properly use the absolute measurements of a specimen of unknown size to make any conclusion based on size. That is purely unscientific and stupid.
Don't forget that the hemiclit illustration does not show a featureless tube, does it? No, it does not.
I have much better pics of both buzzy's and lilly's organs. The drawings of the hemiclit are poor, but they resemble Lilly's organ. Buzzy's organ is at least 2cm diameter at the 'platform', which resembles a flaring foreskin. Buzzy's organ does not resemble the drawing of the hemipenis. I have to tell you that the drawing of the hemipenis is crappy.

Actually, the work that you are bad mouthing in this case showed everyone exactly (evidence) what was needed to show that your two monitors were males. Everyone was convinced- except you. Again, everyone sees the same thing with evidence, except you (again- delusional).

So, who is lying through their teeth???
Sam Sweet
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Speaking of teeth Reply with quote

Among the wonders of husbandry proudly reported by this individual(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuXKeT1FS4) is "tooth replacement" in which his then-surviving sav lost all of its teeth in a short interval and lay gasping with red, swollen lips. Have a look at the video and decide for yourselves how healthy that animal appears to be.

Monitors (and other lizards and snakes) replace their teeth regularly, but not in the pathological manner described by our wizard for his lizard here. They do so sequentially in waves that proceed backwards down each quadrant of the jaws. Monitors have 11-12 teeth on each quadrant -- when the tooth in position 1 is being replaced, that in position 9 or 10 may also be shed, followed by teeth in positions 2 and 10/11, etc. There are always 8-10 firmly attached teeth in each quadrant of the jaws. For every tooth position, a series of 3-5 replacement teeth of increasing size lie in the tissues bordering the inner surface of the jaw; the smallest of these may take 2-3 years to grow to full size and find itself next in line for attachment as a functional tooth.

Healthy monitors may shed 30-40 teeth, one at a time, in a year, of their total of 44-48 functional teeth. When someone claims his animal sheds 400 teeth/year it's bunkum. When a monitor loses 50-100 teeth at once it's called mouthrot, which you can see nice exemplified in the video cited above.

We have several words for keepers whose animals die young from their horrible husbandry practices, and adjectives can be added to taste when these keepers claim to be visionaries.
crocdoc
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabb13 wrote:
notice the conspicuous lack of factual content- allegations of insult with nothing

Beautiful, succinct description of every single one of your posts. Thank you.

gabb13 wrote:
let's see where we are in about 6 months.

I believe you said something to that effect last year. And you did make a grand return, gloating how your monitors had survived a whole year under your care. Then a month later one was dead.

Six months from now? Your last monitor will have succumbed to the mysterious, sudden onset NMF*, like the ones before it. NMF is the same mysterious ailment that has killed off every other free roaming surrogate-cat house-pet monitor that has appeared on the forums.

*NMF = Not My Fault
gabb13
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol @ sam. got an emergency call to jump in and distract for damage control did you?

don't worry, sam, if you say it enough times that buzzy lost all his teeth at once, these dummies will TAKE YOUR WORD.

they will never read a paper, this one for yet another example:

http://books.google.com/books?id=MirXwMe94JgC&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=komodo+teeth+shedding&source=web&ots=iZQJYNPAdi&sig=hIp6qzevGbZfPDAZSUeo9McQcX8#PPA26,M1

Quote:
In V. bengalensis the average functional life of a tooth is 3.1 months (total time tooth visible in radiographic studies, 6.8 months) (Edmund, 1960). ...

Quote:
Presuming replacement rate in the ora (V. komodoensis) is similar to that in V. bengalensis, the total number of teeth replaced annually should be 200-250.

(there's your Walter Auffenberg, cota. how insulting was that!)

and they have no idea that a sav has abut 44 teeth and they can't do simple arithmetic, either. so they'll just TAKE YOUR WORD.

you must be in guru heaven man!
Sam Sweet
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, insult the readers of the forum as well as those who post comments on your husbandry, and you'll go far. I stated that you claimed that your "sav lost all of its teeth in a short interval", which it did. In your own words,

Quote:
Over a period of about two months Buzzy has apparently shed all of his teeth (about 45)

Your ignorance is such that you have proudly posted a video of an animal with no visible teeth, flushed and swollen lips, and large gaps with actively necrotic tissue on both lower jaws below and behind its eyes. This animal has mouthrot and is in respiratory distress, probably from septicemia, and you bragged that it was normal, even cute, aka "teething pains".

Actually, it is public documentation of animal abuse, for which you were reported.

In citing Edwards' work, which is now 40-50 years old, you are perpetuating errors long since corrected -- the functional life of individual teeth in healthy adult monitors is about twice what Edwards estimated.

I make no apologies for denouncing animal abuse.
gabb13
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwards? at least get the name right.
now, edmund watched the teeth develop on xray, so you'll have to explain where 'estimating' comes into play there..lol

quote and cite your reference cuz who wants to take your word?

news flash:
when a sav is preparing to shed, the capillaries at the surface of the dermis swell and in a hypo sav like Buzzy, color him rosy pink. oop! i let it slip that Buzzy shed his skin - now you're gonna go around telling people all his skin fell off...rofl!
you also need glasses because despite the poor focus, i can see other teeth surrounding the one that's erupting.
nothing swollen about Buzzy but his gut. all the vids show his head and jaw is shaped that way. he's robustly built.

but are you telling me you called the cops over that vid? orly?

meanwhile- there are at least 15 new vids. new monitors and of course, our handsome blond devil, Buzzy. You'll love Schnupi the frozen zombie, a baby BT, and Chocolate- another brilliant sav like Lilly was. He's the coolest sav on the planet now!
Also, please enjoy the special training vids- so you too can have a friendly monitor- it's your choice.
i do seem to get those 1 in 100 special lizards that just want to be naturally friendly, schwa? what are the odds? plz dish me up some anthropocentric garbage...lol

a word about my book, Taming Your Sav-
it's been said that 'anybody can self publish on the internet'
that's pretty simple minded and real life is a bit more nuanced.
to be such an 'anybody' requires that you have sufficient literacy to put words together, sufficient motivation to do so, sufficient information to justify the format. It really helps if you have a lot of first hand experience and have something worthwhile to say, too.
because of these small nuances that are sometimes overlooked, there hasn't been anybody to write a book on reptile training until somebody came along and did it. so it's not quite just 'anybody'; it has to be 'somebody'. So now, if you ever have a sensible word to say on the topic, you should know- one way or another you'll be quoting moi.
Live it.

til next time Smile
master pt
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! keep going and some day you might be gone forever...........bless..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: