Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viv stack i made (big post)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Viv stack i made (big post) Reply with quote

I decided to make a new post so the one this orginated from doesnt get clogged up with my photos.

Basically i built a 6x3x7.5 feet box with 4 shelves making 5 vivs with the dimensions of 6x3x1.5.

Here is a pic of the old stack of the same dimensions that i replaced this weekend:

that one was about a year old so i needed to replace it with an allmost identical new one. I made a few changes though this time that i noticed about the last one, it just makes the vivs a bit safer and stronger each time Smile

similar shot of the new one:

As you may be able to tell i have changed the runners slightly. I found that the weakest point on each shelf was the front as there was no support. So i made the front bits a solid section that screw into the shelf and then the sides :

As i have big, strong snakes in these vivs i don't feel safe with plastic runners. The chances of the glass popping out of them when somebody twitches or has a flex is far too high for my liking. So i get rid of those and just sandwhich the glass runners between the front railing and a back section. These are about 2 inches above the bottom of the glass making it impossible to pop the glass out without breaking it :

A final overall view (a bit closer than the first):

And the closest to my gravid tiger as i am gonna get with a camera flash:

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!

Last edited by Dan on Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Nice one Dan..thats a good idea with doing away the plastic runners...as you certainly have no worries about your snakes escaping where the glass meets!!..lol..and with a fairly high plinth would also add some needed strength to them too..what do you seal the wood with?...does it splinter at all...
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great post Dan, very interesting.

Do you have both pieces of glass in the same wooden channel?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't bother to seal the wood. The main areas that this could be a problem are the shelf edges, however if i use a power drill to screw the boards together it holds close enough to stop liquids slipping down the sides. The board itself is suprisingly good when it comes to humidity and general water spillages. After about a year of the old one the board had only absorbed enough to make it swell to around 25mm, which means it remains strong enough. And lets face it there is plenty of water/pee kicking around in those vivs at any given point so it isnt like they are used for desert environments.

Splintering wise, i have found that as long as you clear away the loose bits before using the sheet it generally doesnt splinter at all unless you dig things into it.

It make not look great but structurally it is superb. I have contemplated getting some melamine sheeting to make it look pretty but it would be pointless really so i have never bothered.

Smile

Scott, yes both pieces are in the same channel. As long as there is a good sized overlap in the middle and i measure the distance between the channel at the overlap point i dont have any problems with ease of movement.
I was going to add a plastic runner into the channel but there is just no need for it. The only problem i have is that when the snakes come out you can get substrate in the channel that needs a screwdriver to wedge it out. I may drill a few half inch holes along the plynth at some point though so moving the glass along forces it out ther instead of stopping the doors shutting, we'll see.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: