Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Classifieds coming-Ideas?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptile Classifieds Scammer Warnings (do not post adverts!)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you mean something like ebays feedback rating system then even that has its flaws..
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i have been neged for no reason before
over a £5 so i think ile rest my case
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old C-View system was a good system, i think.

You had the ability to filter the adverts if you wanted. I, personally, only ever look at snake adverts so all i did was look at the snake page. However if someone wanted to have a general nosey they could have a look at them all in one page, or just lizards etc etc.

Something like a drop down menu would achieve this, plus it has the added bonus of being easy to do Wink

Other than that my only comments have been adressed (location and number of adverts)

Oh and have certain fields a requirement (like name, location and email) so people can't post up an advert without leaving those details.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of having a two click section one for private adds, one for commercial adds.

I don't see the value in a rating system as this can be abused etc. Therefore I would question it's validity.

Keep it simple, the more complex it becomes the less likely it is that it will be used, I don't mind multi adds. Dan said he would like a scroll list ie just snakes, etc. This would work if the advertiser only posted one type of herp, but if multiple herps for sale, this would all get a bit complex and unmanageable thus making it to complex. Unless the advertiser had to enter multiple adds in different sections, this may put the advertiser of. Especially commercial advertisers who may not have the time for this.

Location would help, lots of people for whatever reason don't seem to like posting their names or too much information until you contact them, don't know why. I have no objection to this and wonder if you enforced this as a rule whether or not it would lead to less advertisers using the classifieds? Just a thought.

Keep it clear, keep it simple.

Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickeezee wrote:

Keep it simple, the more complex it becomes the less likely it is that it will be used, I don't mind multi adds. Dan said he would like a scroll list ie just snakes, etc. This would work if the advertiser only posted one type of herp, but if multiple herps for sale, this would all get a bit complex and unmanageable thus making it to complex. Unless the advertiser had to enter multiple adds in different sections, this may put the advertiser of. Especially commercial advertisers who may not have the time for this.

My way of thinking would be to have the following selections:

snakes
lizards
'orrible 8 legged fury beasts and friends
chelonia
traders
mixed adverts

When you chose which to view the last 2 listed there both show under "mixed" but have the traders adds encased in a coloured border.

I'm to lazy to make it complicated, that said, a little work before hand will pay dividends later on Wink

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me. That would work. Very Happy

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it will be seperated but it will have a SEARCH button Very Happy

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
mattie
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a search by post code would be a good idea were you could enter your postcode then search for adds within a certain distance ,e bay does the same thing, dont know how youd go about setting something like that up but thats my idea anyways Idea
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, the brief how it stands now.

On entering the site you will see adverts listed in reverse date order of posting.

At the top of the site you will have option buttons, First PLACE NEW ADVERT, second KEYWORD SEARCH, third CATEGORY SEARCH, fourth USER SETTINGS

PLACE NEW ADVERT - this will take you to the new advert section, it will have several compulsory fields, Name - Email - Location - Trader / Private Breeder - Category, it will also have fields like Website Link, Phone Number but these are the advertisers choice to fill in. Photos and HTML code can be added with your adverts but photos MUST be hosted elsewhere (it's a FREE ads site, so don't expect me to pay to host your photos too Laughing Wink ).

KEYWORD SEARCH - enter your keyword i.e. gecko & all the adverts with the word gecko will be listed.

CATEGORY SEARCH - click on the drop down menu and select a category to display ALL adverts for that category

USER SETTINGS - this will allow you to select the number of adverts per page, min 30 max 100.

We are NOT looking for members to register before posting (doesn't achieve anything as any scammers use fake emails anyway), also we will not be adding an advertiser rating system (far too much work and money for a FREE website Wink )

We will also have some google adverts (content related), these will be no more than 1 banner size 'batch' for every 20 adverts. We will also be offering a limited number of advertising space for reptile businesses. These adverts are needed to help keep the site FREE for the many 1000's of visitors each month.

Right, so is there anything else you guys are looking for? Any more compulsory categories etc?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say,

You can also select the advert duration, 1 week, 4 weeks, 12 weeks, after which time they will be deleted.

IP addresses can be banned and ADMIN will be able to delete or edit any advert.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptile Classifieds Scammer Warnings (do not post adverts!) All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: