Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good starter/beginner tarantula...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crunchie
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I would recommend keeping a terrestrial tarantula in one of those exo terra tanks. They aren't really suitable as a fall of just 2-3" can kill a terrestrial tarantula and the front opening doors of the exo terra vivs means it's impossible to pile the substrate high enough to prevent this. If you insist on using this tank the only tarantulas I'd keep in it would be aboreals.

Big vivs also mean there are more places for crickets to hide away. a tarantula will not hunt its prey and instead relies on it walking past its web or burrow. If given enough room a cricket won't do that however.
Young_Gun
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with what Crunchie says, Exo's aren't great for terrestial t's, pet pals/faunariums etc are much better.

My fave starter sp's are:
B.Smithii.
G.Rosea.
L.Klugi.
mikehalewood
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH as long as conditions are right a T shouldnt be climbing anyway. I have 3 T's on Exoterras, a G. rosea, B. albopilosom and a C. cyaneopubescens. I think my main gripe with the Exos is finding shelves to fit them, there dont seem to be many about that are 30cm deep!! lol

As for starter T's, there is the normal G. rosea or B. albopilosom. Slightly more expensive are the B. smithi. All fairly docile, but you do get the od psycho!! All new world T's have urticating hairs the T. blondi being the worst. And all new world T's can and will flick, apart from the Avics that cant flick but will rub up against a threat.

I personally rarely handle any of my T's and have in fact sold off most of my collection to get into snakes. But if you arent planning on handling any T is ok for a first. I've had allsorts, from a H. lividum and OBT to and adult female P. regalis

If you want something big you could get a G. aureostriata gets to around 8" and are relatively docile.

Good display T's would be IMHO something like a A. geniculata or L. parahybana. Even a N. chromatus They all get very big are semi deffensive eat like horses and grow like weeds.

Sorry to ramble on
Gongylus74
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with the previous post, Grammostola aureostriata (aka Chaco golden knee tarantula) is a superb beginner's spider. My big female, Fluffy, is the most docile spider I've ever owned or even met and I've yet to hear about a non-docile specimen from other spider keepers. Very Happy

With other species it is definitely a 'luck of the draw' thing, with individuals of a species sometimes being skittish or even aggressive whilst others are totally chilled out. I have personally owned four Chile roses now, two of which were very tolerant of being handled and two which would rear up when you went near them! Shocked Weirdly these were both individuals of the red colour form (rcf), not sure if that's relevant or not! Rolling Eyes

Fluffy is big, beautiful and slow-moving, making her perfect for me to take into schools to educate children about spiders and to dispel many of the myths about them. I wouldn't advocate handling of tarantulas just for the hell of it simply because of the risk of injury/death if they are dropped, but I make an exception for Fluffy as she is so tolerant of being handled and has never shown any sign of aggression in all the time I've had her. Here's Fluffy...

Gorgeous isn't she? Very Happy

Jonathan

www.jonathansjungleroadshow.co.uk
wardtimothy
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had a flame knee as my first tarantula, great looking spider, a bit skittish but I dont really handle anyway.

Wouldnt worry about getting bitten, half the fun of owning exotics is that they are unpredictable and you always have to be paying attention. Learning to read the mood of your pet is fun also.

Dont forget to get your setup sorted before your get your spider, or buy one with its current setup.

I can recommend thespidershop.co.uk great service.

Anyway, good luck with whatever your choice.
David Maguire
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had many spiders and to be honest as long as they re new worlds they ll be fine for a 1st because even Goliaths when they do get angry you can still easily handle them
trunx
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my own opinion i think the best 'starter' species is whatever one you like best. i dont like new world spiders at all so my 'starter' was an adult female king baboon. i had no problems whatsoever. so i say get what you like, keep it in optimum conditions an your elected!
Dibdob
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a curly hair, dwarf chile rose and a salmon pink (can't spell the posh names) and would say that the curly hair is the most 'pet rock'of them all and the chile rose the most active, but oh how I love Percy, my salmon pink, he's fierce! He shows me his fangs at any opportunity and attacks the water when I fill his bowl up. As you said, personal preference.
I keep 2 in hexagonal clear seal tanks with mesh lids and they climb but I have ever seen them fall, Percy still occasionally spends hours on the underside of the mesh lid trying to find/bite a way out. Bless him Shocked

Debz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: