Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite feeder insects
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your favorite feeder insect
House Cricket
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Black Cricket
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Banded Cricket
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Silent Brown
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Locust
27%
 27%  [ 6 ]
Roaches (all spp)
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 22

phate
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could you add roaches to that poll of yours.???. Of course,I am biased, as a breeder & seller of feeder roaches.

Could you also add silkworms to the list. After all they are the greatest feeder insect in the world! I'm slightly biased as well Laughing .
Mwoxy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely Roaches. Feed predominantly roaches with rat pups and rabbit to my monitors.

Thats partly due to the ease of keeping roaches and my inability to breed crix sustainably. Plus they don't stink!!!

I have noticed that young Ackies seem to really like the banded crix though.

Cheers

Mark
mark
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use mainly locusts for my lizards they are a bit more expensive but who cares they like them well my beardy does more than the cham my chams favourite is meal worms Cool
JohnC
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use black crix with no problems with all my lizards except ackies, they insist on brown crix which I find harder to manage.
Crix should not smell particularly, if they do you have poor crix or your crix husbandry is faulty.
Also use giant mealworms not included in the poll.
Pollywog
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown house crickets are my main, Bandeds are too small & jumpy for most of what I keep, Silents don’t last in the humidity of most amphib enclosures and drown very quickly, & Blacks are too noisy for me but I do use these 3 types from time to time.
Locusts are too expensive for the number of animals I keep and have no advantages over other foods so I only use them occasionally for my larger species.
I’ve used Roaches a few times in the past but I’m not keen on having them in the house.

I always provide a good varied diet to my animals which includes the following; 4 types of Fruit fly, 2 types of Wax Moth, 6 types of Springtail, 6 types of Woodlouce, White worm, Grindle worm, Micro worm, 2 types of Earthworm, 2 types of Slug, garden snails, mealworms, morio worms, buffalo worms, Confused flour beetles, fuzzy bugs, curly flies, aphids, Fruit beetle grubs, bloodworm, daphnia, tubifex, glassworm, river shrimp & brineshrimp. And on top of this frozen foods & pellets.
sales@pollywog.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: