Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting bigger!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jas wrote:
Have you had a bite off one of these yet?

Not yet Jas, to be honest I'm not looking forward to it either. They are so quick biting the heads off giant mealworms and adult locust it does make you wonder what your finger would look like if they did decide to chew on the end Shocked Laughing

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them for the novelty factor plus they do look cute. I would call one of em James Cagney.

Do you plan to breed them and sell them Scott or are you just keeping them as actual pets, or both even?

My better half thinks they are well cool. She loves rats n mice!

She wont touch my millipedes though. Most odd.

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully Pets that will breed Wink .

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Maybe I will be able to buy some for my other half for her B/day. And train them to bite her mother hehehehhehehehehehhehe.

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should imagine they are easy to train. Found on a website last night that they train the poor fellas to search for land mines Shocked

Copied from http://www.mgm.org/e/research/rats_1.htm

Different to dogs who get their drive to search for explosives out of their stimulus to play, the rewarding system with rats works via food, quite a good reason to work hard…
Apopo found many ways to make rats indicate explosives, but today the project focuses on two approaches. One uses laboratory rats trained to remotely analyse vapour strips (similar to the MEDDS system), the other one trains the rodents to work in the minefield itself. MgM is the trial partner for the “free-running” rats only. The test mine field consists of hundreds of real landmines (without detonator!) of different types buried at different times at different depths. An external marking system clearly indicates the position of the mines in each box. Various systems have been trialled in order to force the animals to search the box systematically, the system MgM monitored in action showed some drawbacks in handling, but the detection rates were an astounding 100%. The rats slightly scratched the surface only and indicated this way exactly where the mines were buried.
Although the achieved speed of 100 sqm in 30 minutes is substantially slower than a dog, it still remains much faster than manual (human) clearance by prodding/metal detector. Taking the costs in account, to beat the rather expensive dogs in effectiveness, one simply uses more of the relatively cheap pouch rats… Whereas these animals have proven their capacities as such, Apopo claims it will take another two years until free-running rats can be sent into MgM operations to work in parallel with the dog teams. MgM are very much looking forward to this, as it is likely to be an excellent tool for the quality control of cleared areas.

Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Can picture it now..Scott and his Rat scouting epping forest for mines..lol Laughing Wink
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they would be able to detect mines that I laid around almost mother in laws house then?

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
Laughing Can picture it now..Scott and his Rat scouting epping forest for mines..lol Laughing Wink

Buried treasure...not mines!!!!

I bet there's a fair bit buried over there, guns, drugs, loot and a few bodies that haven't been found yet.

Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny Moon!!!! Laughing
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
Danny Moon!!!! Laughing

ROFLMFAO that was very good Sturat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: