Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Head Albino Ratsnake For Sale
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris13 wrote:
No.

Quote:

Seems you got some intersting information. As far as i've read about this, specimens eating by themselves often live very long lives (i know of specimens reaching 20 years+). The course is NOT inbreeding, but an embryo trying to develop into twins, and then something happens which changes this development and bind the two sets together.. just like in siamese twins in humans and other species.

There's another quote somewhere, Ill try finding you it.

I don't know where this quote came from so i am possibly about to contradict some actual fact based evidence but that little quote you put there doesn't say it isnt genetic.
I would find it hard to believe ANYONE has proven otherwise. You would first need the snake to reach adulthood and then breed it, then if needed breed the offspring again.

Basically this is a mutation, it just happens to be a more severe one than albinism etc etc.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Kris13
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that doesnt say its not genetic, but it explains why. But the second quote says its not genetic. Its the same as humans, and I think that has been proven not to be genetic, I may be wrong though.
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it doesnt say why it isnt genetic - it just states one of the reasons it happens. There are many different stages of severity each one is caused by a different reaction at a different time during incubation.

No idea when it comes to human form but i would guess that any offspring would have a higher likely hood of being the same, which i suppose means it is genetic. So i do have an idea Embarassed

Can you post the other quote up Smile

Kris13
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill try
serpent
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice looking snake but did anyone notice that ' It is currently at the prime age for breeding and is expected to live for another 10 to 15 years. '

The world aquarium bought it at 6 1/2 years old, has had it for 6 years. That makes it 12 1/2 years old which is a good age for a rat snake but hardly 'prime breeding age' and doubtful if it would live for another 10 - 15 years.

A not very well thought out selling ploy ?????
ssthisto
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
No, it doesnt say why it isnt genetic - it just states one of the reasons it happens. There are many different stages of severity each one is caused by a different reaction at a different time during incubation.

No idea when it comes to human form but i would guess that any offspring would have a higher likely hood of being the same, which i suppose means it is genetic. So i do have an idea Embarassed

Can you post the other quote up Smile

The incidence of having twins may be genetic in some species - if you have a parent who was a twin, you're more likely to have kids that are twins (than someone who doesn't have twins in their family).

However, the incidence of having -siamese- twins - conjoined twins to be more precise - is not genetic as far as has been told. It's down to what happens in the womb/egg after the genetic code is already 'set'.

Too many species for this signature space.
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what your saying there, but its worth thinking about average "litter" size for humans. Beating the odds isnt hard to do when you only have one offspring at a time.

I personally don't know of any human siamese twins that have only been joined in the neck area (one that was at the top of the head) and i don't know of any instances in reptiles where it has happened in any other area but the neck/head.

I also know of a case in beardies, so is that the same?

I would imagine that's why no one has said either yes it is genetic or no it isnt. To do it on a genetic level would be very hard i'd think, first you'd have to find the "coding error" that caused it!! Then you have to find out if the cause is the same in snakes as it is in humans.

Then you have to ensure it is either all caused by genetic mistakes or all caused by some form of physical anomally (ie temp during incubation). But if it is caused by both you would then have to distinguish from the 2 and follow each one.

This is getting way beyond my understanding now and i am likely to lose myself shortly Embarassed

I am just gonna stop here with saying siamese twins in reptiles may be a genetic trait but it will be far more complex than a simple recessive gene. Very Happy

peterf
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not particularly a nice sight, but here are siamese dwarf burmese babies from last week. Fortunately, due to the severity of the deformity they/ it did not survive.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

producing Het albinos not enough for you??? you have to try for siamese twins too?

Peter, any chance you can post photos up for our forum members of the dwarf burmese and some size info about them?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: