Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one way to find out for sure and that's for him to test the pad under his viv. Wink

I personally wouldn't like to say for sure one way or the other as I have no idea how deep the substrate will be, how thick / type of viv, what the viv will be sitting on, and of course the ambient temp of his house.

All I do know is that I placed heat pads under glass vivs (8mm!) and in vivs with more than an inch of substrate the glass cracked badly due to too much heat! I have never tried a heat pad outside a wooden viv.

For all my venomous vivs I use a heat pad that is 10% of the floor area, this is not on a stat and placed inside a viv. I use a substrate and depth that insulates the temp enough to give the right surface temperature depending on the species kept within, plus the ambient room temp is also controlled.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I agree try out a couple of different setups and record the temps...as I said though when I tried it the heat that did come through wasn't enough..the probe of the stat was directly on top and never got up to temp..substrate was wood chips..but not deep..so not rubbish just facts based on what I have tried.
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try a more powerfull heat mat?

I have tried both methods and find i prefer the safety and security afforded by having the mat on the outside.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used the highest wattage one I had..So what temps are you getting through the wooden floor of your viv Dan?have you measured them with a infared gun or just the dial type thermometer?Or is it connected to a stat with a probe inside the viv
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

94 is the temp on the floor of the viv, i also have a lower wattage mat on the side so there is a wall temp of 85. I use a gun to measure the temps, would you like a pic? Razz

Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh that would be nice..is there a viv underneath with heating attached to the top i.e. ceramic or bulb?..is the mat the only source of heat in the viv?
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do you one later tonight. The viv has been empty for the last few days and as a result the doors are open and there is no substrate currently in there. As a result i would expect the temps to be lower.
The viv is sat on a chest of drawers, no other vivs in the room (my bedroom - i know you can't wait for the insight Laughing )

Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was this the only viv that you used this method for then?..and no I cant wait.. Shocked
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the only viv i have that uses a heat mat as primary heat currently. We used to use heat mat pretty much exclusively but i changed to ceramics a while ago. Greater, faster heat and a better capability to heat large areas was needed. I much prefer ceramic heaters in general and if/when the viv using mats is replaced i will change the heating system too.

Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather ceramics also..really have only used mats in vivs as a secondry heat source for night time heat if using a bulb on a dimmer for main source.If using ceramic no need for the mat.One viv they do work well with externally are herpteks..Used a heat mat externally controlled by a stat with the probe inside and found it easily reached the temps required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: