Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rough green snakes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyalCrazy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
RoyalCrazy (Roxy is it?)

No.
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard then? Either way, the message is still the same........

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
RoyalCrazy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Richard then? Either way, the message is still the same........

no.
mark
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres someone selling these in classifieds Wink
mark
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wharf aquatics has them in £20 each says he can get them every week Wink looked nice and healthy aswell
Imperial Retics
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
wharf aquatics has them in £20 each says he can get them every week looked nice and healthy aswell

That would be the best scenario, to have a choice of a few rough greens and hand pick a couple.

They are lightning quick to handle but very pretty little animals.
Mwoxy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kept a few Rough Greens, all w/c. Unfortunately I was unable to pick the ones I got. The ones that looked healthy always thrived, almost bomb proof.

They are stunning snakes, make a really good display animal.

As mentioned previously someone on Livefood breeds them. Go for c/b if you can get them but w/c can be good..... When I started w/c corns were the norm.....

And for the record c/b or w/c they all die!!

Regards

Mark
Barry
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Rough Green snakes Reply with quote

OK I'm glad I started this one !
It's been an interesting topic. I started off thinking WC was definately a bad thing but since speaking to a few people that have direct experience of the import of herps it's not quiet so black and white.
There are cases where the harvesting of some herps (in a few countries at least) is safeguarding the habitats they come from. It's the same with some WC fish apparently.
Gravid Royal pythons for example are collected and 75% of the offspring are exported with the remainder and the females released back into the wild.

The reason I asked was because my son wanted some Rough greens. I managed to find a dealer who had captive bred some and now we are the owners of 3 juveniles.
They're fantastic snakes, eating and drinking well. My only worry is that they seem to choose not to eat recently dusted crickets so i'm worried about their calcium levels. Gut loading seems to be the answer but there's no info on actual requirements and it all seems a bit hit and miss. I'm presuming that come the spring I can access a range of insects from my garden which should solve the problem (as it would in the wild) . Any comments would be greatly received.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found some CB, have fun with them. You are quite right about wild caught not being quite as evil as some make out. The facts speak for themselves, habitat destruction is the number one threat for all species, then the fur and skin trade and also 'bush meat' trade (millions of turtles are eaten in Asia...infact they buy in turtles to eat now as they have hardly any left). Live imports of reptiles overall account for less than 5% (nearer 1% if my memory is good).

As for calcium and gut loading, try reducing the amount of dust on the crickets, some reptiles don't like the taste or try another calcium source.

You can use wild caught insects, they won't be gut loaded but by giving a variety, each will have it's own niche diet allowing for a good 'combined' food.
Gut loading your own foods is simple, keep them for 3 - 4 days minimum before using them. Keep them warm, place half an orange and some dry dog biscuit or other high quality biscuit in with them, some people also use fish food flakes.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice, I love baby rough greens. They really are cool little snakes and make fantastic display snakes. On regards with the calcium, is there a UV bulb in there? This may benefit them, as it does with other diurnal species.

And Mwoxy you're spot on...all snakes die whether they be wc or cb, people seem to forget that sometimes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: