Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Enrichment toys"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeanThorpe
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im under the impression its simply keeping the mind active, giving the monitor soemthing to focus on..
by moving or interacting with an object he/she learns how that object reacts to force.
In the wild [cliche soz] there is a lot of objects, both animated and not so to take note of and learn from.
I think this has a lot to do with it.
Will be experimenting myself in the coming weeks with our only monitor lizard [bosc]
Also... in the absence of the big wild world... can captive lizards not develop further mental needs? to replace the survival needs of the wild might "play" not be a natural progression to keep the animal sane and content?
Eyed Lizard
Leo's
Tokay's
Cresties
Garg
Berber skinks
Ocltd Skinks
Uro acanthinurus
Fiji Iguana's
oplurus cyclurus+Cuvieri
Collard's
Long Tailed Lizards
Dwarf Sungazers
Water dragon
Corn's
Royal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bohan
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Smile a learned behaviour made apparent by lack of natural predators and a good reliable food source leading to more free time, down a hole or basking or ???

2.0.0 Varanus glauerti.
1.1.0 Varanus a brachyurus.
1.1.0 Chlamydosaurus kingii.
1.3.4 Lacerta vivipera.
iriechris
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some garden centers sells 'shamrock' ( i think) peat moss which is basically dirt mixed with some sphagnum moss, its really good stuff, all natural, hold burrows really well as is really cheap ( i think £3 for a 10 kg bag) oh and doesn't have any smell to it!!!

Varanus 0.0.1
Rhacodactylus 1.0.0
Uromastyx 1.1.0
shay_
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
to replace the survival needs of the wild might "play" not be a natural progression to keep the animal sane and content?

I would say no. I'm pretty sure play behavior is genetically inherited.

organisms are capable of learning throughout their entire lives, but that doesn't mean they can learn behaviors they don't understand. As mentioned before, play behavior really doesn't benefit reptiles. Things reptiles learn are food that tastes good, and foods to stay away from. Areas that produce lots of food, and areas to avoid, animals to avoid that present a threat, etc. It's called operant conditioning (learning by trial and error)

I agree that captives need mental stimulation. That's why I believe that really large cages are necessary. Providing a deep substrate and plenty of furnishings will give them opportunity to dig burrows, and investigate all kinds of nooks and crannies. Hiding food from them can stimulate their minds and give them a chance to forage and work for their food.
cheers
minno
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id see it less as "play" activities more broading there life,
like it was said earlyer in the wild they might have to move things ect to be able to do things, suppose the reptile things of it less as playing more as finding out what this new thing in my territory is.
hence the reason they get "bord" with it after a while cause they have found out that it isnt a threat and dont need to worry about it anymore
DeanThorpe
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think monitors play for the fun of it, so play is probably the wrong term.
If food was the only motive though [i believe it to be the main one if not the only one] why would a monitor appear tolerant of human interaction when its not hungry?
although, again, how often are monitors not hungry? lol hmm

just a question..
why do monitors continue to dig if they get no reward from it? as in if there is no food within?
or do they not do so if there is no reward?

My experience is limited so I cant make an assesment on the above, only theorise.
Eyed Lizard
Leo's
Tokay's
Cresties
Garg
Berber skinks
Ocltd Skinks
Uro acanthinurus
Fiji Iguana's
oplurus cyclurus+Cuvieri
Collard's
Long Tailed Lizards
Dwarf Sungazers
Water dragon
Corn's
Royal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring up an oldish post, but it was quite an interesting one. I think its not so much play, thats a bit anthropomorphic, but more investigation/interaction with surroundings.

You can provide them with things such as pingpong balls etc for behavioural enrichment which would serve to stimulate a greater variety of natural behaviours.

Providing toys is the same as providing good substrate to dig in. The key is to identify behaviours exhibited in the 'wild' and try and simulate the situations in which they might occur to allow them to carry out this behaviour in captivity.

I like the idea of the 'holey' ball, its something I may try in the future. It definately stimulates an animal more than if you were to simply place a waxie infront of it.

Cheers

Kate
crocdoc
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting pieces of dry dog or cat food on a tile floor will keep my male lace monitor endlessly occupied. He tries to tongue flick a piece, but often sends it skipping across the floor unintentionally with the tip of his tongue. The movement causes him to rush toward it, tongue flicking even more, which then starts the process all over again. Pretty funny to watch. Eventually he'll manage to pick a piece up very gently with the very tip of his 'lips', start tongue flicking the next piece and it's on again.
master pt
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like my old V. ornatus and the three hermitecrabs haha rush to the first crab the was moving toungeflick it just to see the crab disappear in to the shell, then over to the next moving crab and same thing happend hehe he could go a hole day and wouldent stop until I removed the crabs.

Note: the hermitcrabs was to big for him to crush so ....he tried in vain but no luck.

Merry x-mas everyone
DeanThorpe
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crocdoc wrote:
Putting pieces of dry dog or cat food on a tile floor will keep my male lace monitor endlessly occupied. He tries to tongue flick a piece, but often sends it skipping across the floor unintentionally with the tip of his tongue. The movement causes him to rush toward it, tongue flicking even more, which then starts the process all over again. Pretty funny to watch. Eventually he'll manage to pick a piece up very gently with the very tip of his 'lips', start tongue flicking the next piece and it's on again.

our bosc does a similar thing with half dead cricks when out of his viv [rep room he is in has shiny floor] i feel terrible watching him have so much trouble and often help him out.
I agree its good though, but i need to get him back in the viv and best way is to have him feel he has achieved what he wanted to and its only my time constraints that are a factor, not his lol.

when we clean his viv out soon i intend to add an area with a shiny[ish] surface..infact i intend to put a smuch variety of feels abd textures and other variables in there as possible [inc substrate types]
Eyed Lizard
Leo's
Tokay's
Cresties
Garg
Berber skinks
Ocltd Skinks
Uro acanthinurus
Fiji Iguana's
oplurus cyclurus+Cuvieri
Collard's
Long Tailed Lizards
Dwarf Sungazers
Water dragon
Corn's
Royal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: