Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

could i feed my rats anything else
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh bother, thanks for that info. I will keep a close eye on litter size, but now that winter is approaching breeding may slow down anyway. Wonder why some of the big breeders use them.
colwin
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use sow rolls never had a problem with them
quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, do you keep rats, mice or both ? How long have you been feeding the sow rolls and did you at some point change from the more usual food ?
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use sow breeder diet for my rodents, used them for 4-5 years at least with no problems at all.

The only reason I stopped was that I found the rodents would waste a large % of the food by just chewing it and not actually eating it. You would find a mass of crumbs in the cage. The dog food is a lot harder and therefore they don't just chew it for fun and their is never any waste (except with the multimammates, those guys chew EVERYTHING!).

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
toyah
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mix varies each time I make some up, but I generally include plenty of micronised flaked peas, oats, barley, and wheat as a base, with bits of groats, dried peas, etc, for variety. I then sometimes add some Alpha Herbal Deluxe rabbitfood, or another low grass non-pelleted rabbitfood, again for variety. I then add about 10% (by volume) of dogfood. I use various dogfoods, but I try to pick something that doesn't contain artificial preservatives, and ideally quite a small kibble as the mice find it easier to eat. Finally I add a fairly small amount of nuts and seeds (just basic parrot mix), to add oils and extra fat.

I add a multivitamin supplement to their water, as well as a small animal specific calcium/D3 supplement.

The mice grow and look much better on this then they did on commercial rodent pellets or pigfood, plus I am happy that there's nothing like BHT or similar in the mix that may end up causing damage to my snakes. The multimammates have really taken off on this mix - they're growing at twice the rate they were on the old food. From my experience with rodents, the more variety they get, the more they will eat and the quicker they grow.
quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyah it is really nice to read how well you care for your rodents. Realise that it is to provide high quality food for the reps., but rodents are animals too and need to be cared for nicely. I have been feeding a very varied diet and now that I'm trying the sow rolls I will still feed things like wholemeal toast and greens etc. All of the rodents love the cornflakes, it is so sweet listening to a shed-full of rodents eating them, crunch, crunch.... Rolling Eyes Laughing

Sue
toyah
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sue Smile I bred and showed (pet) rats for eight years as well as keeping a few other rodents as well - I just think they're wonderful animals. I did only get the mice to make sure I had a source of food for the snakes I was happy with, but I think I get as much pleasure out of them as I do the snakes.

The main "problem" I've got with the mice right now is that I've been selectively breeding for bigger, more muscled, and typier mice to the point that lots of the pinkies I produce are a bit on the large side for small hatchling corns - I've had to make sure I keep some smaller girls for breeding too so I've got the right size feeders!

I know what you mean about the cornflakes - I always put dried pasta in the rat mix, and when they've just been fed I always think it sounds like a typing pool ...
quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dried pasta, hmmmm, good idea. Could use the stuff with egg in the mix, or the multi-coloured stuff with spinach and tomato Very Happy Oh, what a laugh.... here we are discussing the recipes for our rats lunch Rolling Eyes Only sort of recipe that I bother with, for me it's just tin-opener and baked beans.... Rolling Eyes
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never thought of dry pasta either, I like to give mine a great variety. Also bread, white bread is fortified with extra calcium, so that's good.

What I do give now and again which they all love is Linseed, not the oil the actual seeds, nice glossy coats Very Happy And I buy parrot mix too, love the smell of the aniseed in there. yum yum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: