Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying a Chondro
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamesg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I will, thanks a lot for your help.
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i were you i would forget the emerald tree boa and carry on the chondro route (just personal preference). Another thing i would say is if you put the money you're gonna use here to one side and save a bit more as Stu said you will be able to pick up a nice CB baby or atleast one that is grown on a bit from a breeder and not a shop that isnt going to exist if you have problems. That will give you the chance not only of having someone with experience to help with any concerns you have but will also increase the chance's of you taming the snake.
Many GTP owners in the states have them as pets and they seem to respond well to this, unlike the majority of the people here who i have met that deal with them. IMO here they are regarded as a "look, dont touch" kind of snake.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Jamesg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive very much had that 'look dont touch' response with regards them. Do you know of any breeders local to Kent at all? Also, what would sort of price would I be looking at?

Im glad you have said to stay away from the Emeralds, chondros have also been a favourite of mine, but its only now ive got the space and money to buy one.
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will pay anywhere between£3-350 on average for a baby..Personally I would have an emerald.. Razz
Jamesg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
You will pay anywhere between£3-350 on average for a baby..Personally I would have an emerald.. Razz

Well thats not to bad, I might just pay the extra then. Ill still take a look at this one though. Ill take a friend of mine whose been trading in reptiles for years, hell be honest in weather its a good snake or not Smile
snakesalive
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: k Reply with quote

TBH that does sound very cheap for a adult animal, also look for folds of skin on the animal which could indicate dehydration or malnuritiment,

dont worrie about thetemprement as they really arnt for handling if you can help it, i keep both emeralds and chondros and both are a joy to keep and work with and around, as long as you respect them i.e leave them in peace at night or you will get bitten at night, doesnt matter how calm (tame) the animal is they will all have a go at night, they really are pretty easy to keep but as stated by stu adult chondros and emerals and most other adult pythons dont respond well to being moved, so i would try and recreat exactly what the shop is doing unless its wrong of coarse as thsi will help to minimise stress related ailments on the aninmal i.e respiritory problems, as for tempreture you want to try to recreat a DTH of 30C but with a hotter spot reaching 34-35c i use a standered house hold light fitting which i mount onto a peice of melimine whict is a barnet fitting and that has a 25w pygmy golfball bulb in it, i have found if you persition the top branch 3 inches away from the bulb you will get a area of 34-35c during the day as long as you have the correct ventilation etc, i use 2 perches one lower down a little further foward 6 inches from the top one works well then the animal can choise its desired heat spot,

as for NTL i have also found that using a heat mat on a thermistat set to 28c constantly will recreat the 26-28c NTL tempreture with the bulb off,

hope this info helps you

they are simply a stunning species and both are a absoulot joy to work with

k Cool
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dont worrie about thetemprement as they really arnt for handling if you can help it,

My point exactly Cool

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Jamesg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering, my spare viv is 48" length, 24" high and 18" wide. Is this going to be too big for a chondro?

If it was adaquetly filled out with branches and leaves for hiding would it be ok? I hear large enclosures can stress? I wondered weather this would class as such?
Jamesg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what are the absoloute correct tempratures, and should they be cycled through summer and winter?

I was reading this caresheet http://www.pythons.com/chondro.html

Which states that there should be a day-night temperature cycling as well, with the mean cage temperature varying between 85-78 F in the summer and 85-65 F in the winter.

Can I achieve the night temps with a heat mat? or would I be better to use a red bulb on a day/night adjustable stat? or will a bulb only be required during the day?

Also, do they need a constant basking spot? or will an on/off stat be ample to keep the temp around 30?

I am slowly altering and testing the viv to make sure I can get the proper levels and have the desired ventilation before I purchase a GTP. Want everything to go as smoothly as is possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: