Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B****Y Snails
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: B****Y Snails Reply with quote

Confused Found a couple of snails in my arowanas tank the other day but they are multiplying like crazy!!! Any suggestions on getting rid?..I know loaches will eat them but have to be carefull as the arowana will eat anything I put in there if its smaller than him...
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try this Stuart weigh down a piece of food, such as lettuce, on an overturned dish and leave it in the tank for a few hours after turning off the lights. This attracts the aquarium snails, which will soon converge on the plates. Lift out plate and dispose of the snails. Beats picking them out one by one, I dont have a clue really just found this bit of info and thought it may help Very Happy
Love Karen
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Karen...just found something similar..
http://www.bestfish.com/tips/031298.html
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great minds Laughing
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart,
didn't know you were into your fish.
What do you keep,i have a few bits.
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink Love fish...at the moment I have just the one arowana and a clown knife...have a browse through this section there are a few threads about him...stunning fish but jump like crazy!..we used to have a giant mbu puffer but lost him last year.. Confused Have kept various cichlids and had a nice collection of red bellied pirahnas
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Karen suggested is the best way to get rid of snails. Loaches do eat snails but not enough to get rid of all of the snails. You can get a chemical by interpet called anti Snail. It does work but only kills the snails not the eggs so you'll have to treat the tank for several weeks. and make sure you remove the dead snails to stop them polluting your tank..
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never liked using chemical warfare to rid of snails, never thought "polluting" a tank to get rid of life would be the best for the rest of my inhabitants. To be honest if your not going with the loaches, then karens way is best. It is however a bit crap, as i still have millions in one of my tanks, and even though i literally stripped the tank down and gave it a wash, and added different scenery etc etc some eggs or whatever must have been in the filter material cause you can be damn sure 4 months later they are as prolific as anything. I wish i had a few dwarf puffers to feed the little b*stards to. I actually have two loaches, but they either dont like the snails i have, or are simply to small for them to eat, but you could just end up with 2 tankmates added to your few hundred snails lol.

hmm this seemed to rant on. Damn those snails annoy me lol.

O and by the way, if you have MTS snails, i'd keep them, they are actually good for your tank, and a lot of people buy them 'cause of it.
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ad any ideas on this?.... Confused http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50733&page=2
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read it.
Wow, um i dont really no what is wrong with it. The gill plate has actually come out, thats odd. How is the fish coping currently?

If you want I'll put the question to people at arofanatics see if they can offer any helpful advice. Its not exactly a common problem, but maybe one of them will know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: