Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

member of the month
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> CaptiveBred Reptile Forums- News - Q&A & Rules - PLEASE READ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beardie barmy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: member of the month Reply with quote

why don't we do a member of the month of something like that based on replies and there importance it might create a bit of healthy competition Wink
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be interesting....tell me more about your idea?? Wink

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
SteveL
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have this on another forum im on, its simply discussed by us mods as to who gets it and it only goes to geniunley helpful members, forum contributers etc Wink good idea

jezz wrote:
I dont understand SteveL's sarcasm dohhh
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do they get? Member of the month Rank or something?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
beardie barmy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a free gecko off you worth 250 quid Laughing on a serious note if id get the member of the month i would just be happy with a bit of recognition pal
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be a killjoy but I don't like the idea at all, no offence to anyone.

I don't think the forum should be competitive in that sense.

In my experience such things can bring the worse out in people, and it's all a bit McDonald's gold starish. Also reminds me of the sort of people that were awarded prefect badges at school. Mind you, you could say the same about being a mod wowoowowhahahahahhaha. Laughing

I think people here are glad to be helpful without any reward. Maybe the odd slice of bread and a cup of water?

If people think its a good idea I would however support it wholeheartedly, have a nice day now!

beardie barmy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick shame on you are you worried that someone might catch up to your 5235 posts Laughing
SteveL
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes as said above people awarded it on our forum are more than happy
to just get the title "member of the month" it promotes people to be more helpful ..nothing what so ever to do with being awarded a gold star at mc d's ilmfao @Rickeezee Rolling Eyes

jezz wrote:
I dont understand SteveL's sarcasm dohhh
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job this hasn't started already Embarassed Laughing

Seriously though i have to agree with Rick. I don't go on your forum Lingy so i have no idea how it works there (as such the following is in no way linked with your forum) but we had something similar on an email group i helped out with.
The result was people with questionable knowledge/experience answering questions they should not have done. This led to many arguements when the information was challenged and towards the end more than once the wrong information was accepted as fact because even though we all knew it was wrong nobody wanted to correct it through fear of the repercussions.

This forum is currently unique in the way members use it, we have no child protegy style members who are happy to answer questions based on hear say and text book knowledge. This has, until now, meant that when you get an answer on here it may not be all fluffy and nice at times but you know the facts are correct.

I would be concerned this will dissapear and the forum will sink to the level that other forums dwell on.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play I still dont like it though, probably it may have something to do with the potential competitive element.

To quote Lee:

why don't we do a member of the month or something like that based on replies and there importance it might create a bit of healthy competition.

HMMMMM who is to say who says what is more important than what someone else says. Did you get that Shocked

Competition is OK in its correct place like a game of marbles etc. But do we need it on a friendly helpful forum? I cant honestly see the benefit of it. If I could then I would say so. I think the more established type comps have a place where you win a prize, perhaps like the photo comp, but that got a tad bitchy at times! See I feel it can bring out the worse in people.

Especially if a comp is based upon what people say and how helpful they are deemed to be, a dangerous way to go in my view. Far to subjective, some peole are good wordsmiths whilst others may not have the same skill level, so who should be allowed to judge such unquantifiable matters? No I don't like it.

Maybe we could have a spot the frog competition or wheres wally? Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> CaptiveBred Reptile Forums- News - Q&A & Rules - PLEASE READ All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: