Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

grapefruit seed extract
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattie
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: grapefruit seed extract Reply with quote

so ive heard all the hype about GSE and its anti biotic/septic propertys
just ordered some of ebay, only £4.50 so its worth a try. any one used it before? just got a new leo i was thinking of giving her a few drops as a sort of dewormer while shes in quarantine, what you think ?
mattie
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.citrosept.co.uk/
this is the stuff Wink
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never heard of it, let us know how you get on.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
emz
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry if I'm being dense, so does this mean it can be used to clean out vivs then..?
mattie
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott W wrote:
never heard of it, let us know how you get on.

well if i new that i wouldn't of brought it up could have got it trade marked and made my millions Very Happy if it ever does take of remember were you heard about it first, Laughing

Quote:
sorry if I'm being dense, so does this mean it can be used to clean out vivs then..?

that's the theory whether its effective in practice is another topic, have heard about it being effective against salmonella so it might prove popular as a hand wash at shows and pet shops to prevent spreading disease from herp to herp

i should get my batch tomorrow and I've convinced a friend to let me use it, on his beardie he suspects of having some sort of parasitic infection, ill let you guys know how i get on with it, still looking for recommended dosages in the mean time though
[/quote]
mattie
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just found this post here http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-16214.html

Reptile Health and Grapefruit Seed Extract (G.S.E.)

Grapefruit seed extract is being used to kill multiple parasites in reptiles as it is wide spectrum.
It is proving to be very useful in the elimination of amoebas in reptiles amongst other benefits.

There are many different kinds of parasites that are looking for a host.
They range in size from microscopic to single and multi-celled worms.

The word parasite comes from the Greek para, meaning "beside," and sitos, meaning "food."
This means "an animal or plant that lives on or in another organism from which it obtains nutrients."

Some parasites are larger than bacteria and viruses but they are usually so small that you cannot see them without a microscope.
Others, such as worms, can grow quite large and can be seen with the eye.

The four major groups of parasites include Protozoa (amoebas, Giardia), Nematoda (round, pin, and hookworms), Cestoda (tapeworms), and Trematoda (flukes).

"Grapefruit Seed Extract, according to published sources, is effective against more than 800 bacterial and viral organisms, 100 strains of fungus,
and a large number of single-cell and multi-celled parasites."

When compared with 30 effective antibiotics and 18 proven fungicides. Grapefruit seed extract was proven to perform as well as any and all agents tested.

No other known natural antibiotic, antiseptic, disinfectant can demonstrate such safety, versatility and overall effectiveness as grapefruit seed extract.

Cattle, horses, hogs, fish, poultry, even reptiles can benefit greatly from use of GSE: it is an excellent remedy for skin diseases, external injuries, fungal infections, and internally, the diseases caused by parasitic, bacterial, viral or fungal infections.

Since animals can’t tell us what’s wrong, and since GSE is such a broad-spectrum solution, it is becoming the first-line of defense for many farmers and Veterinarians.

http://www.nutriteam.com/stock.htm
good site for info, many times there are better deals out there for G.S.E..

I raise handfed baby Parrotlets and use 3 drops of g.s.e. per gallon of h2o to hydrate there baby food. It elimates fungal/ bacteria "souring"in my baby parrotlets crops. Many avian breeders that I know of, are using with positive results.

Some reptile/ animal keepers are using anywhere from 1 to 25 drops or so as the critters everday water supply as a water purification agent and a "general purpose health tonic".
10 drops of G.S.E. to a gallon of water is recommended to human and canine "back country hikers" as a water purification method as a second choice if boiling of the water to purify is not possible.

I personally use Ten drops of G.S.E. per gallon for my Corn Snakes "everday" water
and I use 10 drops of G.S.E. and two teaspoons of "Watkins" brand "double strength" vanilla extract per gallon of H2O, for my mice colony for a odor control agent.
My mice smell a whole lot less and thats a good thing.
Smile

I know of a large scale Snake breeder who has used 25 drops of G.S.E. per gallon for her snakes water supply for over a year now and she has experienced positive results and plans on continuing with the "Tonic". Smile
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, tell me more about your rodents? you put vanilla in their water to cut down on the smell?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
mattie
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not me mate just copied and pasted from the next forum, sorry Confused
cornfan
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh freaky... I've just been investigating GSE for use with my anoles as a possible tonic against parasites. Has anyone heard of it being used effectively for wc reptiles?

Reptile Lover
cornfan
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, I've used vanilla in my mice cages before......... made not a jot of difference.

Reptile Lover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: