Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mislead on "red runners"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: mislead on "red runners" Reply with quote

Hi, this is Dave Messer @ Insects Unlimited & it has been brought to my knowledge that Parcoblatta zebra (banded wood roach) is not the roach nick-named the "red runner" on the continent although, I bought it as such. This handle was given to Blatta lateralis (Turkistan roach) & I was misinformed.Maybe it would pay to stick to their Latin & common names when buying.The breed I have IS Parcoblatta zebra & they ARE the banded wood roach & my care sheets are correct for this species but not "red runners". If any of my customers were expecting Blatta lateralis & were disappointed with their order...SEND IT BACK. I will gladly refund your money & pay all the postage.This was a genuine mistake.
Having said that,Parcoblatta divisa,lata,pennsylvanica & zebra come from all over the U.S. & Blatta lateralis obviously doesn`t.My research shows that B. lateralis is genetically linked & possibly a sub-species that has been "carried" to Turkistan & evolved slightly over the years but were probably the same way back.Their habits & needs are indeed very similar & they are also one of the few that deposit their egg-cases.If anyone has a colony of B. lateralis that they are willing to sell... contact me on djmesser@ntlworld.com & I`ll write a cheque out. Regards...Dave.

It may be the early bird that gets the worm but it`s the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

See my response to the other thread " confused about...".

Cheers,
Mark.
Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re "confused about" Reply with quote

Have read & answered... Dave

It may be the early bird that gets the worm but it`s the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.
Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Bloody "red runners" Reply with quote

Hi, it`s me again & I`ve done a lot of extensive research into this "red runner" & am of the opinion that Shelfordella tartaris, Parcoblatta zebra & Blatta lateralis are all one & the same. In Mexico,they are sold as Blatteria paratropa Mexicana runner. It is my belief that Parcoblatta could have been abbr. to Blatta & that it could have been transported from Turkistan to the States via returning troops & is related. There are too many coincidences in their looks, habits & breeding & even dropping oothecas (which in itself is rare amongst roaches).I have often heard the connection between Shelfordella tatartis (lateralis?) & "red runners" & when I bought mine I was told they were Parcoblatta zebra ( "red runners"). Let`s get this sorted out & get some input. I thought I`d mislead customers & apologised but now I`ve looked into it, I may not have done. Regards...

Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: TOTALLY SORTED & without a doubt Reply with quote

Hi, Dave here & now,12 months on, after having completed what
I consider enough research... & experimenting, I find that I was "ALMOST" correct in the previous thread but I have one aspect to correct.
They ARE all related... but we are looking at TWO true breeds & not one. Primarily, PARCOBLATTA zebra (banded wood roach) is one breed.
PARCOBLATTA lata, BLATTA(abbr.? American) lateralis, BLATTERIA paratrooper Mexicana runner (mexican)SHELFORDELLA tartaris (flemish) & "Red Runner" (nick-name) all pertaining to PARCOBLATTA lateralis
(latin) for the broad winged wood roach.
In conclusion, PARCOBLATTA zebra can`t fly or climb glass/polythene. PARCOBLATTA lateralis, adults can climb glass/polythene & the males are good fliers. They are much quicker than P. zebra (hence the nick-name "Red Runners") but both drop oothecas & habits are the same.
P. zebra adults are (female)black & (males)golden. P. lateralis adults are (female)dark brown & (males)orange. I have both breeds & have studied them into 3rd generation over the last 12 months & now feel that I`ve got it right. I apologise for using other peoples ideas in the past & being misled.
THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN BE SURE is to draw your own conclusions from personal experience or one in the fancy WHO HAS ACTUALLY BRED whatever you want to find out about. Breeders ARE more reliable for info than dealers but there are "breeders" who have claimed to have bred 150 species & are basically bullsh*tti*g & getting their info from other less reliable sites. I`M NOT SAYING YOU`RE ALL BULL SH*TTI*G but I`m doing my best to put a division between the 2. Regards... Dave.
P.s. I have both available in the classified section.

Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Wood roaches Reply with quote

Hi there, Dave again, for I.D. purposes goto http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/Roaches/
They show adult males in both PARCOBLATTA zebra & PARCOBLATTA lateralis but it is an American site & shows it as Parcoblatta lata (broad wood roach) & not PARCOBLATTA lateralis (broad winged wood roach). Hope this helps. Regards... Dave.

Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working through all of that I think my ones therefore are PARCOBLATTA lateralis . There once again is a lot of confusion regarding generic and latin names.

Jim O
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Dave Messer @ Insects Unlimited ,can you identify this roach for me
i bought a colony of you last year but am still not sure what they are
the female on the dogs head is a redddish black and the males are a bronze colour with wings,can you confirm for me what they are ?
thank you

Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: AT LAST Reply with quote

Hi Rick, you were back quick on that one. I stapled both threads together to save sifting thru for the other 1/2 in the other thread. I am now totally convinced what I`ve put up for both P. zebra & P. lateralis is reliable. I got hold of true lateralis & already had P. zebra... & wot I`ve said is wot I saw. Basically, the lateralis nymphs are everso slightly lighter than the zebra... but you can`t tell the difference unless you`ve got BOTH in front of you. As in thread "adult lateralis climb & males can fly" zebra can`t... & are slower. Safe as nymphs because they don`t climb but male adults are as good as P.nivea (green banana roach) at flight. If the adult females are very nearly black (everso,everso,everso dark brown) & the males don`t fly they`re P.zebra. Who did you get them from because if it traces back to me?... they are definately zebra as I haven`t sold any lateralis yet. Regards... Dave.

Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: I.D. Reply with quote

Hi Jim, it`s not a lot to go on & it is an empty shell... but as luck would have it, this is not a cowboy outfit... & I keep breeding records & customer sales records &, at a guess, I would say you are Jim O`neill from ***** Road & you had 100x (approx 200x sent) on December 10th 2005 & they are definately PARCOBLATTA zebra... & will not fly. Email me if I`m wrong. Cheers... Dave.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: