Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rankins shedding
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minno
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: rankins shedding Reply with quote

jusdt a general enquiry how do rankins shed? cuase he looks like his tail has shed but the rest of him aint, and its a good thick layer of skin difference aswell, is that normal?
felix93
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is normal. They shed bits by bits, just the same as bearded dragons if you know what they shed like.

I always bath my rankins, so when they shed, the skin sometimes just come off when they have their bath.

Hope this helps.
minno
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, well atm the substrates still abit wet so seems 2 b coming off, im just used 2 crestie shedding lol, is 70% humidity ok or 2 high?
he aint got a water bowl kept in there atm cause need 2 try and dry it out as much as pos, popped him in the sink with sum warmish water today 2 give him a swim n a drink ect is that ok?
felix93
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cresties shedding is completely different. I have only seen once with my crestie shedding and he shedded in one piece.

I don't have water bowls in for my beardies or rankins. I just give them bath every other day for a good 20 - 30 minutes (some people might disagree with this) and they drink the water as much as they like to in the bath (they still love to drink but I don't think they like the water in their tank, they tend to poo in the water bowls, so I took them out). Unless you see any problems with his shedding, I think he will sort himself out, only just takes time. One of my rankins took almost a week to do his shedding, and at the end I soaked him in the bath and helped him with the rest. Embarassed

edit: I ain't too sure the correct % of the humidity, but I think you have to lower it a bit because rankins don't usually like high humidity enviornment. I don't spray their viv at all, just give them bath to hydrate them.
minno
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might just leave the water bowl out then and give um a bath, suppose it gets um used 2 bein handled aswell so double bonus lol, atm the substrates still pretty damp cause i washed the sand, peat and chippings before they went in 2 make sure the crap was out of it
so as soon as it dries out abit i rekon it will get better
felix93
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFYI, I don't know if this might be a bit trouble for you. I do a wash substrate (I used playsand for adults only) but I baked them after the wash, so to make sure they are germs free. This way, you can reuse you substract for quite a long time before you need new ones again. For juvniles, I just use kitched papers to avoid impaction. Wink
minno
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh i did it the othe way round lol baked it then washed it 2 cool it off lol shud of really done it the otherway wudda been abit drier now lol, hes bout a year old and iv seen him eat on it and doesnt pick up any substrate he either misses cause hes 2 slow or hits directly which is gooood, not seen him eat any greens yet tho?
felix93
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine love "Italian" style salad and Rockets, they might not be the best greens but at least they are mixture of greens for them. Hide some mealworms in there, and he won't have a choice but eat at least some of them. Just keep giving the greens to him, he will eat them eventually. I usually put greens in first thing in the morning, and wait until mid morning or early afternoon before giving them locusts (I don't give circkets to avoid them to escape and I can't bear the noise those male crickets make! Embarassed ). So I know they have eaten some greens before the live food.
minno
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i usuually do the salad the night before i go 2 bed (dont get much time 2 in the mornin and then feed him sum roaches in the evening, at his size how often u rekon i shud feed him?
felix93
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gawd, I don't know. I was told by my herp vet to give mine a big bowl of salad and then just feed locusts twice a week. I didn't like his idea even he is very good and knowledgable in herps. I feed mine (both of them are just over 2 years old) with a bowl of salad, with at least 1 waxie each every week, 20 regular mealworms under the salad everyday, and I put 12 - 18 3rd locusts in for them to share every other day (sometimes there are locusts left in the viv at night). They are not fat YET, so I assume I am feeding the right amount. I suppose you just have to work out with your judgement with yours. Sorry not great help here. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: