Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dart frogs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kermit
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: dart frogs Reply with quote

Just a ask, there does not seem to be many dartfrog keepers about or has the hobby gone back in to the shadow. most of the old guard I have talked to have sold up or are thinking of it . p.s I know billbow is still alive and kicking ( LONG LIVE THE OLD GITS ). Very Happy

Kermit

The B.D.G

www.britishdendrobatidgroup.co.uk
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dale...yeah...there's a few about...I'm still pretty new to darts, but planning some more for the new year. Starting with a breeding group of vents or amazonicus I think. How's your collection...I think I saw posts from you on DW a while ago, but you weren;t on there that long after I joined.
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a fair few new keepers getting started!
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcfluffin wrote:
Hi Dale...yeah...there's a few about...I'm still pretty new to darts, but planning some more for the new year. Starting with a breeding group of vents or amazonicus I think. How's your collection...I think I saw posts from you on DW a while ago, but you weren;t on there that long after I joined.

My collection is growing by the day i dont remove eggs i just let them get on with it. Then remove the young. yer i think i remember your user name i loved DW it was great at the start but the bigger it got the more plonkers joined so i left and started my own forum. i even had a Dw meet at my house and that was very good too.

Cheers Kermit

The B.D.G

MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one who has been in this hobby for longer than a couple of years would have seen this before.. its art of the sad side of the hobby. IMO there's a couple of main reasons people "burn out"

firstly they get into darts becuase they see $ signs nothing more.. then after a year or so they find out frogs are no way to make alot of money some times you can but it's not a regular thing.

secondly there's the I wanna bigger one (collection) than you! And they go out buying and buying anything and everything with no game plan or method after about 6 months of looking after frogs culturing flies springtails and all the other food items around they get bored frustrated and "tired" of it..

Dartfrogs have been the only constant in my life since I was probably 14-15 I dont see the frogs as a business and I could care less about who has the largest collection I keep frogs becuase I enjoy it always have and always will enjoy it even on the days I have to make 20 fruit fly cultures or 15 springtail cultures Laughing

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear from you Dale...I heard you were pretty good at constructing vivs once upon a time?

MJ wrote:
Any one who has been in this hobby for longer than a couple of years would have seen this before.. its art of the sad side of the hobby. IMO there's a couple of main reasons people "burn out"

firstly they get into darts becuase they see $ signs nothing more.. then after a year or so they find out frogs are no way to make alot of money some times you can but it's not a regular thing.

I only 'spend' on herps at the moment...it'd be nice to get a few quid back from breeding projects one day to fund my habit...but I see what you mean about the 'business' side of things...

Quote:
secondly there's the I wanna bigger one (collection) than you! And they go out buying and buying anything and everything with no game plan or method after about 6 months of looking after frogs culturing flies springtails and all the other food items around they get bored frustrated and "tired" of it..

Dartfrogs have been the only constant in my life since I was probably 14-15 I dont see the frogs as a business and I could care less about who has the largest collection I keep frogs becuase I enjoy it always have and always will enjoy it even on the days I have to make 20 fruit fly cultures or 15 springtail cultures Laughing

I now have an incubator or 4 to use when there is spare room in them...normally for my PhD I culture ladybirds and scale insects...but the space comes in useful for contstant temperatires and humidity for flies and crix (as well as hatching eggs)...so this is hopefully going to be much less arduous over the next few years...

As for the 'mine's bigger than yours'...a male thing no? Very Happy
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing the mines bigger than yours seem to be a male thing as the dartfrog hobby is male heavy rigt now Laughing but I guess it's true with any one.

When I say $ signs I mean turning a huge profit... it wont happen if breeding yourself even when buying and selling there's no real money in it. My frogs will pay for them selves but there's definatly no get rich quick scheme that involves them especially the high end harder frogs..

unlike reptiles like snakes dart frogs are time consuming and a little more costly to keep if yu dont grow your own food.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
kermit
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mcfluffin"]Nice to hear from you Dale...I heard you were pretty good at constructing vivs once upon a time?

thanks for that mcfluffin still am good at construction and still finding new tips,but better at knowing who to make them for. i know its not away to make lots of money. when i was building tanks for lots of the DW members some were saying you should make a business of it but i was happy to build tanks for what it cost me.

as for mine is bigger than yours i think thats a play ground thing and thats were it should stay.

Kermit

The B.D.G

MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may be a "playground" thing but it happens all the time with out naming names I could show you 2 or 3 people who have done it and fallen out of keeping frogs.

kermit
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so pm them to me then why do people wont to build distrust he said thay said. let me say if you have a problem with me ring me 07729928715 i have not got any thing to hide

The B.D.G

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: