Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

b.smithi eats a corn?! (not nice)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_dave_
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: b.smithi eats a corn?! (not nice) Reply with quote

sorry if this is a repost but its so cruel. the poor corn!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7X6GZeDJiA&mode=related&search=
lovesnakes
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the comments he received for that says it all Evil or Very Mad
serpent
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why was it cruel ?

Would you be saying the same thing if the corn was eating a mouse or a royal python eating a hampster or gerbil ?

Or even a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon eating a cricket ... same thing, different style of feeding.

Agreed, it wasnt the best thing that i've seen but is isnt the worse by a long way either.
_dave_
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the tarantulas usual feeder item was a corn snake, then i might agree with you.
garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is indeed wrong. You introduce something eatable to a tarantula and it will have a go, doesnt mean it SHOULD be eating it, especially a LIVE snake!

Tw@ts.

http://www.sitewonders.co.uk
gary@sitewonders.co.uk
crowey
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serpent wrote:
Why was it cruel ?

Would you be saying the same thing if the corn was eating a mouse or a royal python eating a hampster or gerbil ?

I'd say it was cruel to feed a live mouse to a snake. as as far as I know, unnecessary.

certainly doing it purely for entertainment value (like this guy seems to have done) is just lame.
serpent
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
certainly doing it purely for entertainment value (like this guy seems to have done) is just lame

I personally cant see any entertainment value in it whatsoever and the brain dead retard needs a good kicking BUT my point was 'why is it cruel ?'

I cannot see any difference in feeding ANYTHING to something else that will eat it.
IE....... What is the difference in feeding a mouse, rat, gerbil, rabbit, cat, dog, finch, pigeon, parrot or lamb to an appropriate sized snake ........ NONE WHATSOEVER.
All you are doing is giving a reptile a small appropriate sized mammal/bird to eat, which is what it would do in the wild.
Likewise giving a lizard a cricket, locust or a £100 tarantula .. that's what they eat in the wild.
Tarantulas are opportunic feeders which means that they will eat anything that they can overpower including snakes and small mammals.

I'll say it again in case anyone didnt read it before ...
I personally cant see any entertainment value in it whatsoever and the brain dead retard needs a good kicking
but I cannot see what the fuss is about apart from what a waste of what appears to be a perfectly good snake.
garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What annoys me is that cornsnakes are obviously respected pet reptiles. There are PLENTY of purpose bred feeder foods, so there simply isnt a need to feed a cornsnake.

Sure in the wild a T would probably eat the odd snake, but even so!

http://www.sitewonders.co.uk
gary@sitewonders.co.uk
Crunchie
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few facts to consider with my opinions in bold.

Tarantulas and other invertebrates do not need to have live vertebrates as part of their diet. They do well enough on live inverts and are far too simple to be stimulated by a "thrill of the hunt"
Why then choose a method of feeding that offers no additional benefit to the animal at all and is probably more expensive?

Too much calcium in the diet of tarantulas has been linked to moulting problems. Vertebrates have calcium in the skeleton while inverts have chittin in the exoskeleton.
Why then choose a method of feeding that may result in health problems for your pet?

A live vertebrate can easily turn the tables on an invert if it's lucky. It's just you never hear about this happening because people are normally unwilling to admit it. Tarantulas in particular are very delicate creatures and a bite from a snake or rodent to the carapace or abdomen could easily kill them.
Why then choose a method of feeding that risks your pet in this way?

There is a lot of evidence to suggest that invertebrates are incapable of feeling pain. Don't laugh at this! There is a picture of what remained of a male preying mantis after a female ate most of him on another forum I visit. The mantis was left with his thorax and front pair of legs yet when this was presented with a cricket it caught the cricket and began to eat it. However vertebrates are very capable of feeling pain and probably fear as well.
Why then pick a feeder animal that is going to suffer the most when inverts are more readily available?

To answer the question why is this cruel? in my mind is that feeding live vertebrates is completely unnecessary. You are needlessly putting an animal through pain when there are alternatives available. Alternatives that are a lot less risky to the pet being fed.

I used to frequested US based forums and there were plenty of videos and pictures of intertebrate pets being fed live vertebrates and I don't remember seeing one that I didn't believe wasn't fed these items for entertainment. That is unfortunately what this boils down to I think given the facts above. Sad I cannot say how glad I am that the practice of feeding live vertebrates in the UK is illegal expect under specal circumstances.
serpent
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To answer the question why is this cruel? in my mind is that feeding live vertebrates is completely unnecessary. You are needlessly putting an animal through pain when there are alternatives available. Alternatives that are a lot less risky to the pet being fed.

Crunchie .. Very good post. Cool

I agree with you almost entirely, I think you are wrong about feeding live vertebrates though as sometimes it is necessary to get an animal feeding and defrost just doesnt work . ie problem royals springs to mind straight away.

You are correct though, it was and is totally unnecessary to feed a hatchling corn to a tarantula and whoever did it is a total #### !!!!

Maybe it is my morals and ethics but I still cant see what is wrong in feeding the corn to a tarantula ...... stupid, unnecessary and wasteful definately and wrong in most peoples eyes and I must add not something that I would ever do or have ever done.

I think this one post that can go on and on and on so I think we should call it a an agreement to disagree Confused Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: