Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some of my inverts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Some of my inverts Reply with quote

hello, here are a few of my bugs. Hopefully the pics wont be too large posted like this!

Maclay's Spectre Adult Male

Maclay's Spctre Subadult Female

Idolomantis Diobolica (Devil's Mantis)

Orchid Mantis (3rd Instar)

Ghost Mantis (3rd Instar)

Idolomantis Diobolica

I have a little gallery here which may be a little better for looking at the pictures: http://dreadmonkeyninjahenn.deviantart.com/gallery/
kingcobra
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the diabolica, and the orchid mantis!, i think mantids are cool, but i am overflowing with stuff at the mo,so no go on buying any! Sad

as for your pics being too LARGE, the exact opposite i'm afraid, i think you would be o.k. using pixel size 650x497, that should be about right. Smile
Paulk
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi captainmerkin, I have a female spectre. shes about at her secound instar and seems very sluggish. I know they slow down about a day before shedding but this has been going on for nearly a week.

I even have to hand feed her or she won't eat! I was just wondering how you kept yours to see if i was doing anything wrong. She has plenty of bramble that has been washed in the container, and it is warm enough according to the books. Any advice would be gratefully received!

Wish I were an invert!
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulk wrote:
hi captainmerkin, I have a female spectre. shes about at her secound instar and seems very sluggish. I know they slow down about a day before shedding but this has been going on for nearly a week.

I even have to hand feed her or she won't eat! I was just wondering how you kept yours to see if i was doing anything wrong. She has plenty of bramble that has been washed in the container, and it is warm enough according to the books. Any advice would be gratefully received!

it sounds ok to me, don't try and hand feed them though that may freak it out a little and they usually only feed at night or when they feel secure (in the wild atleast).

Before a moult they will slow right down and may stop eating for a while, best thing to do is make sure that they have ample room to shed their skins and places to hang from. (this may be up to 4 - 5 days before a moult as well!)

Sometimes a good idea to give them a gentle misting (directly onto the insect) at this time as it helps for them to be in a humid environment.

I have found that given the choice these insects would rather eat rose than bramble, so it may be worth giving them a little of that as well to make sure they have the option.

Give it another few days and hopefully she will be ok and moult!
Paulk
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, well its funny you should say that because she has molted! Now all the things I read and research before buying the insect said that they would only slow down for a day and a half at the most!

The size increase is incredable, I am just very happy that after nealy a week its not the end of her, i'm a little embarassed that I over reacted but i'd rather do that than sit by and just wait for her to die!

I have a miniature rose bush that I plan to put in her tank (its only about 6" tall and flowering). Any ideas if this type of rose should be given as a food plant?

Wish I were an invert!
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulk wrote:
Ha, well its funny you should say that because she has molted! Now all the things I read and research before buying the insect said that they would only slow down for a day and a half at the most!

The size increase is incredable, I am just very happy that after nealy a week its not the end of her, i'm a little embarassed that I over reacted but i'd rather do that than sit by and just wait for her to die!

I have a miniature rose bush that I plan to put in her tank (its only about 6" tall and flowering). Any ideas if this type of rose should be given as a food plant?

that bush will last a week before decimated to be honest.

Congrats on the shed, they do grow something crazy each and every time Smile

I just use various roses "borrowed" from the neighbours gardens.... but I also have a 14 ft tall rose bush in our front garden which I take a sprig from every week, put in a generous amount and see how much it eats, they just put in a little more than that each week.

Keep the rose or bramble in water and spray everyother day to keep it fresh. Change water when you change foliage Wink

But stick with bramble if you can its much easier to source (except where I live)
Paulk
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer I have the same prob its not so easy to come buy, thats why I chose ET really because of the rose eating.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it as an adult, i've seen a dead onr in a frame (much to my horror) and it was huge! Ive read they live for about six months after reaching adulthood, does this sopund right to you?

Wish I were an invert!
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulk wrote:
Yer I have the same prob its not so easy to come buy, thats why I chose ET really because of the rose eating.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it as an adult, i've seen a dead onr in a frame (much to my horror) and it was huge! Ive read they live for about six months after reaching adulthood, does this sopund right to you?

they can live to that or more yes, once they hit adulthood you can always lower the temperature (very slightly 2 - 3 c) and they may slow down a little and live longer, but they are pretty inactive anyways.

Both males and females are gorgeous!
Paulk
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look great, i'm hoping my eggs will hatch, I have about a hundred or so! Shocked

Wish I were an invert!
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulk wrote:
They look great, i'm hoping my eggs will hatch, I have about a hundred or so! Shocked

just hope they dont ALL hatch, trust me Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: