Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Enrichment toys"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bohan
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: "Enrichment toys" Reply with quote

Hi, I have read on a post on the forum about a V exanthematicus using a "Kong" like toy and wondered what experiences people had had with monitors and enrichment toys? also if any one has any photos of the "toy" and links,

Thanks

2.0.0 Varanus glauerti.
1.1.0 Varanus a brachyurus.
1.1.0 Chlamydosaurus kingii.
1.3.4 Lacerta vivipera.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how a monitor would use a kong I thought they needed to be chewed to get the treat out? Confused

I've seen the odd person use one of those balls that treats fall out of with locust and grubs Cool

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
arborgoanna
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am not familiar with any such play behavior documented in Varanus exanthematicus, there is an entire book chapter dedicated to play behavior in:

Murphy, J., C. Ciofi, C. De La Panouse, T. Walsh. 2002. Komodo Dragons: Biology and Conservation. Washington: Smithsoniam Institution Press.

It is an interesting read, and definitely worth checking out if you are interested in reading up on play behavior in varanids. In that particular chapter, Walsh reports on a female V. komodoensis who would seek out and play with inanimate objects just as handkerchiefs.

Good luck with your search for information, I hope this may help some. Kind regards,

Bob
lophius
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to give my big argus multicoloured tough rubber rings - it would be interested in them for about a week and then lose interest .. at which point i'd remove them and give him something different - I started doing this after I lost the female - the big males behaviour changed and it almost looked 'depressed' ... toys definitely helped. Just my personal experience .

Carl
Bohan
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys thats quite informative, i will check that out Arborgoanna for sure thanks.
MJ thats the thing i was on about thanks, any idea what post it is on?
Whilst i realize that Reptiles dont play as such as a dog or cat, i believe in enriching any captive animals life with any means possible, i would bury two or three crabs or half a rat etc in a couple of pet transporter boxes (cardboard) in upto 18 inch of bark mulch for my V salvator when hungry it would take him nearly 1/2 hour to extract it and feed.
While i'm talking about him i wanted to say he seemed able to track/follow loose living tokay gecko's around his viv through 18mm marine ply it was like his viv was made of glass as he would have his snout directly on them as they moved or didn't, ok, thanks Very Happy

2.0.0 Varanus glauerti.
1.3.4 Lacerta vivipera.
shay_
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I don't believe any reptiles "play." That kind of behavior is too expensive for reptiles. Their whole life consists of balancing rest with energy gained, and energy spent. Energy spent playing would mean more energy needs to be gained. That would include energy spent searching for food, pursuing and catching food, and then processing it. Cost out weighs the benefit.

I believe that every behavior exhibited by reptiles is for a reason that directly benefits the animal. And I'm sure most or all of those behaviors are directly or indirectly related to eating and breeding.

Play behavior is mostly seen in social mammals. And though it seems that play behavior is only for the purpose of having fun and otherwise useless, there are important benefits to "play" behavior in social animals. This is where the young practice for adult activities, learn social structure, learn by imitating the adults, and relieve stress.

Reptiles have no need for any of those benefits. A big difference between mammals and reptiles is that baby mammals are mostly helpless. They need to be nurtured by their parents and taught many behaviors. Reptiles are born with the innate ability to survive all on their own.

I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say that with out the benefits gained by play behavior in social animals, it would cease to exist. Too much energy lost in a world that doesn't guarantee a next meal.
cheers
Bohan
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, but social reptiles, kept for generations in captivity with no or hardly any energy expendature in search of food, and being monitor lizards, they need some enrichment and whos to say that shaking a holey ball for food to drop out dosent become interesting for an animal hungry or not.
Play, i dont think so either but it is a behaviour worth investigating Very Happy

2.0.0 Varanus glauerti.
1.3.4 Lacerta vivipera.
iriechris
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post! i would like to learn alot more about monitor enrichment, my bosc chased around a ping pong ball for a month or so constantly nudging it and rolling on it, now he has become bored with it . . .

Varanus 0.0.1
Rhacodactylus 1.0.0
Uromastyx 1.1.0
iriechris
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post! i would like to learn alot more about monitor enrichment, my bosc chased around a ping pong ball for a month or so constantly nudging it and rolling on it, now he has become bored with it . . .

Varanus 0.0.1
Rhacodactylus 1.0.0
Uromastyx 1.1.0
Bohan
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, yeah you can see the link with the ping pong ball and an egg, But it'd have to be much bigger than the monitor could swallow, like youve said hes become bored of it, might be because he has had no reward for all his investagative effort Smile

2.0.0 Varanus glauerti.
1.3.4 Lacerta vivipera.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: