Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

reptiles and hard water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arborealad
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: reptiles and hard water Reply with quote

Been wondering lately as i live in a fairly hard water area whether or not there is any concrete evidence of reptiles drinking hard water leading to kidney problems etc.
Up until now ive been using water from the tap for my drinking bowls and misting but even us humans can end up with kidney stones from drinking this stuff for long periods so imagine what it could do to tiny reptile kidneys.
If anyone can confirm they have heard of cases like this id happily switch over to bottled still water but am i just being too over protective Question
Paulk
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard of any cases of kidney problems or any other problems relating to giving your animals hard water. But if you are worried just buy the cheap tesco bottled water its what I use and its so cheap.

There are products available to take out the nasty stuff in water but these can be expensive, so the cheap bottled water is the way to go.

I have always used bottled water not because of the hard water issue but because I want my animals to have the best things I can offer them.

Wish I were an invert!
davo
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i imagine the chlorine in the water would be worse, but if you age it, it dissappears as you probably are aware. Not sure if i trust most the bottled water companies either lol
Paulk
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, well what about trying some of the water treatments for fish that you can buy. I do not have any idea if this would be ok for your animals to drink but it might be worth investigating!

Wish I were an invert!
davo
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you cant have R/O water and a lot of the water treatments aren't really very good nor needed for fish (the buffers and softners and whatnot), and i definately wouldn't use them with any herps.
davo
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you cant have R/O water and a lot of the water treatments aren't really very good nor needed for fish (the buffers and softners and whatnot), and i definately wouldn't use them with any herps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: