Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird Oscar
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickeezee wrote:
I thought they had big paws and fur? Shocked

Laughing
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wont turn out to be a red, they already have the colouring as juvi's. It'll more than likely look rouhgly like the first two pics gaz. It does look like a peru varient, but something tells me in the back of mind it won't be, could be wrong though. Nice anyways. Take it the aro is ok now?
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I thought Ad..never heard of them gaining the red colouration as they always have it as babies and if anything it fades with age.The aro isn't right I don't think..has ceased feeding and his gill plates are still out at an angle..I know they can fast for periods without any explanation. He looks ok and is swimming fine and water is bang on. Confused
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i have been abit lazy and not read every1s replies to this convo Embarassed
but to me it looks like it is crossed with somthing else the head looks slightly like somthing else but i cant put my finger on it
HerpCrazy!!!
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looks like a very young oscar to me. I had a big batch of 'wild' types in just a few months ago and all had a very similar pattern. As for having been cross bred, it is unlikely but not impossible. Most oscars are bred in the states and in Asia. The fish are generally farmed by species and I buy the majority of mine from Florida as they are much better quality than any from the far east and Asia. I suspect that the oscars are pool bred and raised so unless another 'viable' species was introduced they would be pure offsring. Also there will always be individual traits that distinguish one oscar from another such as dorsal ray length, mouth shape/length, body length:depth ratio etc. Hope this helps in some way Smile Nice clean oscar though Very Happy
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate..is this normal then?.. http://www.captivebred.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8983
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fine, in fact his body colouring looks very pale. It is certainly nothing to worry about unless there is a new fish illness lurking about Laughing often have other cichlids that develop odd colouration but it all evens out ok. Smile
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Body was a little pale due to a water change but never seen one develop a black patch on its head??..asked quite a few other people on other forums and they thought it was quite strange too..
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason it has a dark head is that there is a greater proliferation of scales on the body which will over time change colour whereas the head is what you'd call 'naked' so the colour develops/changes much quicker. This is more noticeable in Malawi cichlids which develop thier head colour much earlier than their body colour. Smile
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cheers..just thought it was strange as that is the only area of his head that has changed.just see how he goes..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: