Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Night Glo bulb fitting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neep_neep
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Night Glo bulb fitting Reply with quote

Hi,

I have decided to rig up an Exo-terra Night Glo bulb onto my Crestie viv, so I can watch him at night, hunting and going about his general business (though I am not using a day bulb, to make sure I don't raise the remps too much).

Anyway, I was just wondering whether anybody had any idea about how to rig one up? I was hoping to have it sitting outside the mesh lid (to save cutting holes in it) and I was given an ES bulb connector, but I have no idea how to connect it to the mains - step-dad doesn't seem too keen on connecting wires to it in case it causes a fire at some point!

I am not the most electrically minded person in the world (I always favoured Biology over Physics Rolling Eyes ) so I would be most grateful if somebody could point out what I need to do, and perhaps give me a link to the appropriate products? I do not have to use the connectors that I have, I think perhaps they might not be the easiest of things to sort out...

Thanks! Very Happy
Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya I had to use on of these in an emergency when one of my spots blew, I had the ES type so I just put it into an ordinairy desk lamp- the ones with the flexable necks, this worked very well shining through the mesh topped viv.Failing that exo terra sell a basic lamp holder on a long flex which you could use also.
love Jan
Pendlehog
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The absolute easiest way would be to buy a clamp lamp holder with reflector and just mount it over the top of the tank.
The lamp holders are already wired and have a clamp attached for easy fitting.

Its not quite the cheapest way to do it, but for the electrically challenged (like myself!) they're definately simple!

http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=134

Or for just a wired bulbholder with no mounting apparatus see here:

http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=130
Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL me and electrics are a very lethal mix.I needed to mount a uv tube inside a viv- so read all about cutting the wires of the starter and re joining them etc etc- I got very scared so instead bought the new arcadia plug and socket starter set. It wasnt much dearer than a normal one, looks neater but above all gives me 100% peace of mind- I know my rep rooms not going to explode!
love Jan
neep_neep
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo cool, that Zoo Med clamp lamp looks like just the thing!! Very Happy

I'm glad you pointed that out to me, just looking at the title and picture I wouldn't have had a clue that it was the right thing!!! Laughing

Thank you! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: