Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Refused a snake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
celticwoman
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Refused a snake Reply with quote

Hi,
I am relatively new to snake keeping, I have an 05 het lavender 0.1 and went out today to get myself another.
She was a beauty, a ghost (well I say she, they wouldn't probe it DOB July 05, said it was too young) but before buying her/him, they asked some questions, like what housing I was intending to use.
The corn was about 14 inches and I was going to put it into a contico until my birthday in March....that was pretty much as far as I got, she refused to sell me the snake after that.
I have read Kathy and Bill Love's book twice (lol) and been to every website on corns I could in the past few months and thought a contico was standard for alot of people, especially for young uns.
Please can you tell me how you keep yours?
I did stress that I intended to get a viv with the whole caboodle soon and that I would maintain a temperature gradient as I do for my other one, but she said in a contico I could have a spider, scorpion but not a young corn etc etc...I didn't want them.....
The thing that got me was the shop had the corn in a plastic box (suspiciously like an ice cream container (about 8 inches square and 4 inches high) in a viv stacked with about 30 others heated by a heat bulb which offered no temperature gradient for the individual boxes.
How embarrassed was I?
I admire their conscientous sellling policy, but I seriously thought a contico would be ok for the next two months (it is 16 inches by 11 inches by 6 inches). Is everything I have read wrong or am I just not getting it (not wholly impossible (LOL))
Do any of you use conticos? (like I said in March I will get the best viv I can afford!LOL)
claireburniston
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this thread is a bit old, but i thought i would reply anyway.
I keep my '05 corn hatchlings in conticos. These are heated by a heat mat connected to a pulse stat.
They have kitchen roll as substrate and a kitchen roll tube cut in half as a long hide, which runs the length of the box, so they can thermoregulate.
A water bowl is provided too.

Corn snakes can happily live in conticos, and then be moved into a viv when they grow, or some people choose to keep them in larger conticos once adults.

I personally do not think its a good idea to keep a hatchling in a large viv, most snakes would get stressed, and may not feed. Also there is the issue of escaping, hatchlings can easily fit through the gap between sliding glass doors.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did seem a bit strange to refuse you on that Confused

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
kelly41
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i know who your talking about (Birmingham right?) its not that she wants you to put a hatchling in a big viv she just doesnt like heat mats being used for corns (personal reasons) so likes all of hers to go into tubs inside a viv

shes a really nice woman when you get to know her and her stock is very good but she has strong views on heat mats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: