Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skinks.. not always that nice to eachother.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordi J
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Skinks.. not always that nice to eachother. Reply with quote

Last Friday i was cleaning all my vivs when my eye saw that one of the pink-tongued skinks was injured pretty badly.
The animal has supposed to be a female but this kind of injury you only see when two males fight. So there is a big chance that my female is a male...
So he/she lost here complete tail..... The tail has been eaten by one them...
The animal is now in quarantine. The part that is just hanging lose at his tail felt of today. The tail is disinfected twice a day with betadine.

They always look that nice but their bully's (skinks) and there jaws are sow powerfull.. The people that have bin bitten by skinks now what i'm talking about. It won't bleed but it hurts... they have so much strength in there jaws.... Shocked

I've also made some pictures of some crocodileskinks today.
So please give your opinion and also on how i can make better picture's.

Jordi

Crocodile skinks.

1.1.1 Cyclodomorphus gerrardi

Co-Studbookeeper ESF studbook Tribolonotus sp.

Lynne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw what a wee shame. do their tails grow back? it must have been in agony.
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about your pink toungued skink Jordi, but those crocodile skinks look amazing!
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jordi,

Sorry about your pink tongue's tail!

I have seen a male Tiliqua do exactly the same to a female. She was absolutely fine - and I still have her.

I have also seen the something similar amongst juveniles.

Those novaeguineae look fantastic!

Mark.
Tegus: Tupinambis.
Tortoises: Testudo.
Jordi J
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

The pink tonguedskink is doing better at the moment and even ate tonight for the first time since the fight Very Happy. The wound is also looking better.
He/she is also on pain medication at the moment
1.1.1 Cyclodomorphus gerrardi

Co-Studbookeeper ESF studbook Tribolonotus sp.

quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for caring for the wounded skink so well, and very glad that it is now eating again. The crocodile skinks look brilliant Smile

Sue
kinyonga
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is she/he getting a course of antibiotics too??

Poor thing....hope he/she will be okay.
Kioka
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skinks are horrid for communal I find... and in a lot of species, the females are WORSE than the males.

Out of all the skinks I kept... it is the female that abuse everyone else. Male skinks get along fine, but still have their disputes, but female skinks together with other skinks? Impossible.

I keep all of my female skinks separate for this reason. Each individual female has her own cage.

With some complex like Tiliqua, it is the other way around with the males being the abusive one. Mabuya (ESPECIALLY Mabuya with several species), Riopa, and Chalcides have been observed with the females being more dominant than the males in my care. Tribolonotus is a hit-and-miss, but males tend to do better communally than females.

I have a female M. multifasciata (Gold Skink) that did chest-to-chest combat with a male M. multifasciata, and essentially... made him her servant. He would not eat without her eating first, he would not drink before she drink first. When she got gravid, she abused the crap out of the male to the point where the male was losing weight from not eating. He would still associate with her, but I think that is because of the "bow-cha-cha-wow" thing. :p

Do not underestimate skinks, they have a much more complex social order than people assume they have. I don't know why skinks do this, but I think it is because most of the ones available in the trade breed all-year quite readily, and the females are under constant pressure.

So I would not rule out that they are both females. There is a very strong chance that both are females, rather than both males or one male-one female pair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: