Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dog Insurance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve it may be expensive but don't know what we would have done without it to be honest...Dennis has cost us nearly £10K in 3 years!! we have probably paid out under £1500 in insurance in that period.
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveL wrote:
Dog insurance is a bloody rip off ...I have found out the hard way though

just make sure you find a good vet that will let you pay any bills in installments and do away with insurance con .when you go to claim on any insurance they make it as hard as possible to claim .then when you do claim they get the cash back through premiums

it should not be allowed IMO .i mean if there giving you insurance why hike it miles up right after a claim ,there taking the risk offering it you in the bloody first place ,its not a loan OR is it ?? Twisted Evil does me head in tbh

sorry for the waffle Laughing

Unfortunately, to run a veterinary practice is a business and it is not always possible to allow payments in installation - especially when in the past some owners havent paid up and leave the practices out by hundreds and even thousands in some cases.
Pet insurance is like any other insurance - if you claim a lot/multiple times, then it may well be increased. This is similar to house/car insurance where you lose no claims bonus etc etc.
A decent insurance will pay quickly and effectively. I have never had a problem with Petplan or Exotics direct (use that for the beardies and not the dogs lol!). Research into the small print is the best option and you can always ask on the phone prior to taking out the insurance anything like this - a good one wont hide anything from you.
Alternatively - and I know quite a few that do this - you can put say a certain amount each month as a standing oder into a savings account that you never take anything out of and name it "Pets" or somethind. Eg put £50 a month into this rather than pay £25 per pet for insurance. Then you will gain interest on it and build it up so if you need a large amount quickly say for a broken leg you can get it. BIG disadvantage to this is if you havent built it up enough to cover the costs and also if it is a life long disease rather than a one of "accident" then you may not have enough.

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveL wrote:
Dog insurance is a bloody rip off ...I have found out the hard way though

just make sure you find a good vet that will let you pay any bills in installments and do away with insurance con .when you go to claim on any insurance they make it as hard as possible to claim .then when you do claim they get the cash back through premiums

it should not be allowed IMO .i mean if there giving you insurance why hike it miles up right after a claim ,there taking the risk offering it you in the bloody first place ,its not a loan OR is it ?? Twisted Evil does me head in tbh

sorry for the waffle Laughing

Steve,
I totally agree with you on "it's a rip off" but unfortunately there's not many other options.

The trouble is insurance compaines have clocked on to how much people care about thier pets and hike up the premiums way above what's needed. I should guess that Pet insurance is possibly one ofthe most profitable areas of an insurance business Wink

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
SteveL
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu thats a freak occurance and im glad you were covered for dennis's sake

I wonder how many millions these highway men take from caring owners ?

its just annoying as Scott has put it that they have cottoned onto us caring owners, and are rubbing there greedy hands together Twisted Evil

just like every thing else in this country rip off britain

I hope you get a good deal Scott

jezz wrote:
I dont understand SteveL's sarcasm dohhh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: