Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rack Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UV light will not pass through most plastics. The UV may also damage the plastic, and over time make it brittle. Thousands of breeders kept many species of snake without UV yet they breed them very sucessfully. That would tend to suggest with rare exception snakes do not need UV.

If you use heat cable then the box would not be able to slide on the shelf, You would need enough space above the tub so it to be placed on it from above ? I have used heat strips for my rack system so I didn't need a router to place the cable in a groove so the shelf is a flat surface for the tubs to slide on. That way I could fix the next shelf above each pair of tubs so that the gap above the tub was small enough so that snakes could not escape with a tub WITHOUT a lid

There was another thread showing pictures of members rack systems, and the tubs used had lids on them. I thought half the point of using a rack system was that you could feed/water/check a reptile by just sliding the tub towards you. Otherwise you have to remove each tub off the shelf onto a table so that you can get to the animals, AFTER you have taken the lid off.
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark68 wrote:
UV light will not pass through most plastics. The UV may also damage the plastic, and over time make it brittle. Thousands of breeders kept many species of snake without UV yet they breed them very sucessfully. That would tend to suggest with rare exception snakes do not need UV.

If you use heat cable then the box would not be able to slide on the shelf, You would need enough space above the tub so it to be placed on it from above ? I have used heat strips for my rack system so I didn't need a router to place the cable in a groove so the shelf is a flat surface for the tubs to slide on. That way I could fix the next shelf above each pair of tubs so that the gap above the tub was small enough so that snakes could not escape with a tub WITHOUT a lid

There was another thread showing pictures of members rack systems, and the tubs used had lids on them. I thought half the point of using a rack system was that you could feed/water/check a reptile by just sliding the tub towards you. Otherwise you have to remove each tub off the shelf onto a table so that you can get to the animals, AFTER you have taken the lid off.

slide the tub in slightly lift a tiny bit when you come to the cable and voila. not everyone removes lids when using a rack system. a breeder i know puts the lids on, he just doesnt fasten them. and to be honest, i dont think i would want to use a rack system without lids. wouldnt trust lidless. but everyones differant.
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is more difficult to make a "lidless" rack system, but if you can it saves a lot of work and general faffing about.
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is an old topic as i have finsihed my rack and i am using heat strips for heating.

I have lids on the boxes in my rack, because the rack was designed so that all shelves could hold medium and large conticos, so the large ones fit in lidless but the shallower mediums do not, but i do not mind as it was to save space not time. Also my boxes with geckos in have lids on as the crickets kept escaping in the lidless sytem

I know of breeders and reptile keepers, who only use lidded racks or use both.

I also know of someone who provides his animals in his rack with UV. he has a 'pro racks style' rack, and there is mesh seperating each shelf, acting as the lid for the boxes, so you don't have to ventilate the boxes, and he lays the UV Tube on the mesh and directs it downwards using a reflector, it works well

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: