Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vets with Dragons again
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jwonni
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and to see their original setup click the link below

http://www.captivebred.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14898
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, sorry, I have been away since sunday! So how are they doing now? The set up looks good - though do you have two spotbulbs? and if so how come? How long are you leaving the lights on in the viv each day?
They look healthy - are they drinking / being sprayed regulary? You can get Reptoboost (order it in reptile shop-cheaper then vets Wink) and you can place one spoon of this in 500ml water and let them bath in it. Do this daily for 2 weeks to rehydrate them. Then change to daily bathing in some warm water for 5-10 mins with Reptoboost added only once a week then. This will keep them hydrated, encourage them to drink and encourage them to poo. The cloaca and skin also absorbs the water too.

Back to Brumation - this can happen in youngsters. One thing you can do to sort this is to reduce the light to 8 hours a day for 2 weeks then increase it again to 12 hours. This often sorts them out. What is the temp under the spot light now?

Hope things sort out!

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
Jwonni
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lights are on for 13 hours a day

There are two spotbulbs i had read a lot about dragons dominating each other and that it was best to provide two basking spots for them so they both had somewhere. Although they ended up being too close so its just a larger basking area. It does have its uses as they are at my dads i only go once a day during the week and the other day i came and one bulb had gone but they didn't miss out as the other one still provides a basking area

Only recently got the big piece of wood but suppose i could angle one of the bulbs to provide basking on there.

Today i have seen a difference late yesterday the larger one was out for a few hours basking and walking around anbd then today they have both spent time out and basking for a few hours. Larger one had a big poo on me as well while i was giving them their medicine. Together with the vets comment i am hopful that things are looking good so fingers crossed

Night time now but i will get a "at this moment" temp tommorrow

Since i first got them i had never seen them drink althought they get baths every 3 daysusually so they may well drink then (or from their bowl when i am not looking)
Jwonni
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well both bulbs are different the one on the left is 50w the right is 75w

and the temps directly under the bulbs on the branch are 37.3 and 40.2 c

so a convertor says that is 99F and 104F

I know ideal directly under for beardie is 110F and i have read for rankins its 100F so as they are a cross not sure which one i should be closer to
Jwonni
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was at the vets again yesterday still no luck

One of them has been coming out a little for the last week while on antibiotics again the other not much more than poking its head out.

The vets have said as they seem to be showing a little bit of improvement on antibiotics they have given me another two weeks worth. Just had it for a week and they said do a week off, week on, week off, week on. Also on the weeks off give them some avipro to help their gut stuff.

They have still not lost weight they are now 96 and 68 grams but not coming out much and still no attempt to feed themselves.

I am feeding them every two days with a couple of crickets, a waxworm and a little veg (only just started muching veg up to hand feed) big one does not like me opening its mouth little one is actually trained now to open
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very wierd! What is the ambient temperatue in the viv? whats the size of the viv again? can you post recent pictures of the setup?
Have they had a recent poo sample check?

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
Jwonni
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The viv is a 4x2x2

The thermometer at the cooler end usually reads around 25C

Not sure what you mean by recent i must have posted earlier in this thread they had one when i started seeing the vet for this problem it had come back with salmonella and one of the worm species then we dewormed them and started antibiotics we have not done a repeat fecal since.

I am to go back in a month and if they have not improved i dont think she knows what she will try next. She did mention blood sample and xray but she said the blood sample reading will be all over the place due to the not eating much for so long so she is not sure if it will show anything.

Does anyone know how much roughly and xray or blood smear test usually is?

I can take another picture later but its pretty much the same as the previous one except i have since taken the sand out just for while they are ill and the wood is angled slightly different so as to create a better shelter directly under the light (which they must like as they hide their quite a bit now instead of their real hide which is the stone thing next to the water bowl. They also have a fake plant lying on the floor that the smaller one sometimes lives under.

They did both stay out when i had put them back last night basking which is good as the smaller one usually goes straight back to hiding and the larger usually follows shortly after.
Jwonni
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no better.

I have been blending up veg and syringe feeding that as well as the hand feeding of insects.

Last time went to the vet was given a larger amount of antibiotic stuff to do a rotation (week on week off week on week off) back at the vet a week on wednesday.
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you measuring the temperature ? (What type and make ?)

I know its just a picture but the dragons look 100% healthy in the photo. There are none of the normal signs you see with sick Pogona.

There was some other thread suggesting that the exoterra bulbs (10% only) might have been badly made, and giving out dangerous UV levels and of the wrong type. The dragons might be avoiding it. They can see UV light.

Also I would suggest that the overall lighting (or lack of it) could be causing the problem. The tube is high in light output in the UV spectrum of course but what about the rest of the spectrum ? Another bulb of the type used for tropical fish or even a warm white household tube might wake them up. Think about those times when you go outside in winter, even in the UK after being in a dark room and the light hurts your eyes. Now imagine going from that viv to an australian desert !! If you install another tube you would probably need to increase the ventilation. Also putting the tube against the side of the viv tends to reflect light out of the viv not downwards. Maybe also try a reflector behind the normal tube to double the light output

You will find it very differcult to find a Pogona without some "worms", especially pinworms. It is debatable if in small no's they are harmful. As long as you maintain good hygiene.
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over night thought about the light levels more. You could to test this theory out cheaply. Replace for a week or two, one on the spot bulbs with one of those energy saving compact types used in home lighting. If you are going to try it I would suggest you use a powerful one (equivilent to 100w old style filament bulb).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: