Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chytrid Swabbing Survey & Possible hybrid
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how the contact about the newts goes Peter Cool

Done a quick literature search and found some titles that may be of interest to you, haven't had a chance to look at them myself so don't know how useful they will be but could provide an insight? If you have trouble accessing any of the papers let me know and I'll email them over to you Cool

Bell. 1977. The Life of the Smooth Newt (Triturus vulgaris) after Metamorphosis. Ecological Monographs

Malmgren JC, Thollesson M. 1999. Sexual size and shape dimorphism in two species of newts, Triturus cristatus and T. vulgaris (Caudata: Salamandridae). Journal of Zoology

Raxworthy CJ. 1990. A review of the smooth newt (Triturus vulgaris) subspecies, including and identification key. Herpetological journal

Oh and another one I thought might interest you as well but not so much on topic...(you might/probably have already seen this though mate)

Hels T, Buchwald E. 2001. The effect of road kills on amphibian populations. Biological Conservation

Cheers Cool
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff James. Cool
Much appreciated, thanks. Wink

JStroud wrote:
Let us know how the contact about the newts goes Peter Cool

I had a reply with an interesting angle from Jeroen Speybroeck of Belgium.

Quote;

Dear Peter,

My guess would be that you found a hybrid. I am aware of only two records (one from the UK and one from France) of a helveticus x vulgaris hybrid, so they seem to be very rare. There is, however, one other possibility. You might be dealing with an introduced specimen of one of the southern subspecies of the smooth newt. Both meridionalis (Italy and adjacent areas) and graecus (Balkans) display a straight-edged crest and a tail filament. Difference between them: graecus has (or at least much clearer) additional dorsolateral crests (or rather ridges) like helveticus (can't really tell from the pictures whether this is the case or not). I have some pictures of both subspecies (besides the nominal form) here => http://nemys.ugent.be/species.asp?spec=44665&group=16&am p;act=4&p=0

Most likely you found a very rare hybrid, but to be really sure, some molecular analyses would be desirable, I guess.

g's,

J.

Obtaining a molecular sample from any animal that I find displaying a similar combination of features is not entirely beyond the realms of possability as I shall be returning to the site to swab again. It is a small pond. I am also working fairly closely with a Dr of the Department of Environmental and Molecular Biosciences of a University. So you never know what might happen. Wink
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoting David Bird;

There are apparently quite a few of these hybrids now recorded. I had a photo of one sent to me the other month and came to the same conclusion as Jeroen but as this was in his garden pond where no Balkan specimens had been introduced the hybrid was much more likely.

David

INSPIRING PEOPLE, IMPROVING PLACES
www.btcv.org
www.btcvcymru.org
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner of the pond forwarded me a few more snaps of the likely hybrid. The straight edged crest and tale filament are clear to see as is the speckled throat which is a vulgaris characteristic.
www.btcvcymru.org
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have recieved a reply from the person that David Bird refers to two posts previously;

Hi Peter ,

I am the person that Dave mentions in that last post .I too would agree that you too have found a smooth/ palmate hybrid. I sent pics of the animal that I found off to Richard Griffiths at DICE and he too agreed it was a hybrid specimen . Richard is one of the co authors of the "New Naturalist Reptiles and Amphibians" and within the book he refers to a hybrid that he found at a pond in mid Wales ,photo included (black and white) , also John Buckley of the HCT sent me pics last month of a hybrid that he found in his garden pond .

I would not be suprised if there are a lot more of these hybids out there , perhaps folks just Don't idenify them correctly and further to this ,female smooth /palmate hybrids would be extremely difficult if not impossible to I.D

Also one more pic;
www.btcvcymru.org
James
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting post, I take it the hybrid was released back into the pond, wonder if its fertile(not sure if that's the correct word). If it is possible to reproduce do you think this could effect the numbers of palmate and smooth newts in the future?

also forgot to mention your doing a great job, the future of amphibians doesn't look very good at the moment but with people like you and with more exposure hopefully it will get more people aware of the problem and hopefully something can be done against the fungus.
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive comments James. Measures are in place regarding the fungal pathogen, I personally have a good deal more swabbing to do over the course of the next month, but the truth is that we know so very little about it that it is very much an uphill struggle. We have so very little time to achieve an incredibly ambitious amount. I constantly hear the same message when talking to anyone that is involved with conservation and ecology, that the position of amphibians in the globe`s ecosystem is precarious to say the least.

Regarding Vulgaris/helveticus hybrids, Jeroen Speybroeck explains the situation;

By definition, hybrids are infertile. This holds also true for (the few recorded) hybrids of these species. Species that are less distant from an evolutionary perspective do, however, produce partially fertile offspring = reproduction possible, but with clearly reduced fertility. This, of course, being a simplification of matters such as speciation, introgression, hybridogenesis (water frogs), ... .

Yes the animal was returned to where it was found.
www.btcvcymru.org
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info regarding hybrids and fertility.

Apparently;

T. vulgaris x T. helveticus hybrids have been recorded successfully breeding with the parent species (at reduced fertility), according to:

Macgregor, H. C., Sessions, S. K., & Arntzen, J. W., 1990. An integrative analysis of phylogenetic relationships among newts of the genus Triturus (family Salamandridae), using comparative biochemistry, cytogenetics and reproductive interactions. J. Evol. Biol. 3: 329-373.

(They state that T. vulgaris x T. montandoni hybrids can also breed with the parent species; the cristatus group is also well known to produce viable hybrids. )

You should be able to get a pdf here; http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/pdf/10.1046/j.1420-9101.1990.3050329.x?cookieSet=1

It's a big one (and some of it's a bit out of date), but it's well worth reading. The hybridisation stuff is on page 339.

www.btcvcymru.org
James
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting stuff, hopefully we don't just end up with one mixed up hybrid type species that nobody can identify its origin but considering the actual amount of hybrids recorded I take it this is very unlikely to happen.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real interesting thread Pete, thanks.

With regards to the hybrid, I guess if it's happened now and before then overall it must get diluted down over time and disappear again or perhaps they form the beginings of a new ssp?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: