Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

feeding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storm
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: feeding Reply with quote

any suggestions on how to get a female beardie eating again?? she has been off her food for a few days and is starting to loose a little weight.. just concerned as she is gravid. not due to drop yet but i dont want her to end up in a weak state after laying. nothing seems to tempt her. any suggestions appreciated Smile
0.2.0 hoggies
4.7.0 corns
0.2.0 CWD
1.2.0 beardies
0.1.0 BTS
0.0.3 sandfish
7 steudners
6 hermies
1 millipede
tropical fish
Terry-rhac.cil
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you tried her on pinkies if she refuses a warm dead one try a live one may seem cruel but its great fun to watch lol Razz when my beardie goes off crickets i put him on meal worm it was what he was fed when he was younger. to get veg and things down him i fill his food bowl with water cress, rocket and the likes of and mix the worms in. Defo try pinkies high in calcium which is what she is gonna need for the eggs. also check for any changes in environment temp and things like that sudden changes can throw them off. have you got a nest box in there it maybe her way of telling you she wants one. sorry i dont know more but my friend is a qualified vet if youd like me to ask him just let me know.
Bohan
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry-rhac.cil wrote:
you tried her on pinkies if she refuses a warm dead one try a live one may seem cruel but its great fun to watch lol Razz when my beardie goes off crickets i put him on meal worm it was what he was fed when he was younger. to get veg and things down him i fill his food bowl with water cress, rocket and the likes of and mix the worms in. Defo try pinkies high in calcium which is what she is gonna need for the eggs. also check for any changes in environment temp and things like that sudden changes can throw them off. have you got a nest box in there it maybe her way of telling you she wants one. sorry i dont know more but my friend is a qualified vet if youd like me to ask him just let me know.

Pinkies are very low in calcium and wont really help. they are not imo a very good food for much at all (exept real tiny snakes) as they are hardly developed and lacking in many good minerals etc some people offer them as treats but i dont see the point when fuzzies and crawlers are only the tiniest bit bigger but much better developed ie bone, hair and gut contents.
Your lizard may want smaller food items as her stomach may be restricted a bit by the developing eggs? try woodlice if she will take them as they are very high in calcium and small enough not to bloat her.
Other wise just try smaller feeder insects and make sure they are very well dusted in a good vit/calci powder Smile

2.0.0 Varanus glauerti.
1.1.0 Varanus a brachyurus.
1.1.0 Chlamydosaurus kingii.
1.3.4 Lacerta vivipera.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: