Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tenrecs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ailurus wrote:
groovy really nice!!

do they use the wheel often?

Yes Tom they love the wheel, usually at 3am, nice to listen to that whilst trying to sleep Laughing

Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davo wrote:
They look good. Can they climb back down, or do they just fall off?

Mostly they kamikaze off! They are good at climbing up, and love to climb, but not so good at getting back down.

Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol93 wrote:
They look quite cute. What do they eat?

They mainly eat small insects and root about for them in the substrate, I cheat and just put the insects in a bowl, they love mealworms! They are prone to becoming overweight which is not good for them. A healthy Tenrec should be long and thinnish not rotund.

I have been advised to try to get mine onto cat kibble, I have tried this but they are just not interested. I was also advised to starve them onto it. I tried just leaving cat kibble in with them for a couple of days but they did not touch it and I could not be strict enough to keep that up so gave them loads of mealies. Very Happy

At the moment they are going through a cooling of phase so eating less, but I am keeping a close eye on their weight.

Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

955i wrote:
Brilliant things Rick, I like them a lot Cool

They are a top animal Chris. Very docile and easy to handle. The spines do not hurt like the African pygmy Hedgehogs do. Plus the APH's can have a nasty habit of balling up and thrusting their body out to spike you! Even when they are being friendly I have found the APH's spines to be painful when just generally handling them. Also the tenrecs do not smell like the aph's do. Neither do they self anoint, which can be a messy and smelly ole business indeed!

Don't get me wrong I am not having a downer on APH's. Both are two totally different animals form different parts of the world 9Tenrecs indigenous to Madagascar) so can not be compared. Well nothing can be compared to a Tenrec really as they are not even a true hedgehog but have just developed similar characteristics to a hedgehog (convergent evolution).

The tenrecs can ball up, and could I imagine be defensive if the need arose. I can honestly say my first three tenrecs have never nipped or balled up once! I have aquired some more tenrecs a week or so ago these are larger than my original ones and are less tame as not hand reared like my first ones. But even so they are still extremely docile and easy to handle so should be no problem at all. One of the new ones has nipped a few times, more of a warning that she has been handled enough and not a hard bite as such. The other two new ones are so laid back and easy to handle that its unreal!

I will take some pics of the new ones within the next few days.

Superb animals, and they make lovely house pets as you can handle them and let them roam about, supervised of course. Easy to house, easy to feed and not hard to care for. Ideal if you like something a bit more unusual from the norm. I am very taken with them.

Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to bring back an old topic, but Rick have you had any more success breeding these, as i am on the look out for possibly gettng some either this year or next year. also do they require heating?

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: