Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Beardie- Tail Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToonTomH
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: My Beardie- Tail Question Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Last week I got a young Bearded Dragon, 12 weeks old and I think s/he's great! One little concern I have, s/he was housed with another young Bearded Dragon before I got her (Clutch mate) and she has a little kink in her tail about 1" from the end of it. It goes off at almost a right angle and is looking really thin (The rest of the tail is fine).

Now aesthetically it doesn't bother me at all, but I was just wondering if this bit is going go completely dead and drop off, or if it will stay like that? If it will drop off, is there anything I need to do once it happens?

I will post some pictures up at the moment, my dad's out and he's the only person in the house who knows how to use his good camera! Laughing

Thanks,

Tom

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ToonTomH
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures:

Firstly, the tail:

And now the Beardie: Smile

Sorry about there being so many Laughing

Thanks,

Tom

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
alastair
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cute, love the colours on the back.
my daughters two both had damaged tails when we got them, similar to yours. The damaged tips withered and dropped off within a few weeks, and seemed to cause no problems. we did not need to do anything
0.1 royals owned by mikey
Lynne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely wee beardie. i have seen a lot in rep shops with bent tails. but some have been kinks they have had since they hatched. and when i questioned the owners of the shops they have said its quite common!!!
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
lovely wee beardie. i have seen a lot in rep shops with bent tails. but some have been kinks they have had since they hatched. and when i questioned the owners of the shops they have said its quite common!!!

Having had over 500 hatchings over the last 10 years I can safely say most happen from in the egg - they hatch out with them. I probably had about 20 in total like this so dont really think youi can say its particulary common, but its not unusual Smile These that are born like it keep their tails with a kink for life.
Those that have had "accidents" like cage mates biting them, trapping them, people constantly grabbing at the tails - common in shops - then they often lose their tails and will wither off andy die.
If it does drop off, the best thing is just to use a VERY VERY VERY dilute salt water (1/8th of a teaspoon in a mug of water) and just bath it twice a day for a few days. Most will heal over nicely.

I wouldnt worry - some stunning colours on him Smile

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a handsome beardie. he looks great!! and the tail is hardly noticeable, unless yo look closely

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: