Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paramyxovirus infections(OMPV)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vetdave
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Paramyxovirus infections(OMPV) Reply with quote

The main problem with this disease is being able to prove that a snake has the disease anti-mortem or indeed even post-mortem it can be difficult to be sure it caused the death of the snake. I have read a lot on here recently and whilst paramyxoviris and other viruses certainly do kill snakes, maybe they are not as nasty as some people are advocating.
I had a client recently with 2 boas that lived together. One was went down with a respiratory infection and died almost before they got it to their vets(had a couple of baytril injections b4 died) A post mortem was done at a recognized lab that pointed to paramyxovirus as having been the cause. A couple of weeks later the second snake became unwell and was presented to me. With hospitalisation and systemic + nebulised antibiotics this snake got better again. This poses some interesting questions....did the first snake die of the Paramyxovirus or a more virulent bacterial problem. Clinical signs attributed to OMPV are really only the signs you'd see in any snake suffering a bad infection IE the snake is showing signs of progressive asphyxia IE holding it's head up, fighting for breath etc. Nothing in the list of symptoms commonly ascribed OMPV isn't what we'd see in any acute nasty pseudomonas infection say.
Post-mortem lab tests showing lung changes and the presence of the virus do not conclusively prove that this was the cause of the snakes demise. I have seen no papers showing where snakes have been infected with Paramyxovirus and despite good husbandry and potent antibiotics have progressed died of OMPV. Also no cases where a post mortem including full bacteriology has failed to show significant pathogenic bacterial growth in the absence of antibiotics use. Perhaps more work needs to be done on this area?
Should we be worried about the virus....yes! As with all these viruses such as IBD etc these are not good things to have in your collection. Quarantining all new purchases, only buying from good sources where you know a snakes history, isolation and appropriate treatment* of anything with even the slightest respiratory infection are all keys to preventing widespread collection problems.
* This means lung wash and use of more than just say baytril by injection, but that's another topic altogether.

Food for thought,
Dave
vetdave
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summary: You can get a primary neurological disease usually characterized histologically by a non-suppurative inflammation of the brain and spinal cord but this is not the same disease described by most people when they talk about mainly respiratory mucus causing asphyxia symptoms. Thus whilst I believe that OMPV can be the primary cause of a neurological death many of the cases attributed to OMPV lung changes are primarily pathogenic bacterial in origin.
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post again Dave, I don't think I saw it when you originally put it up Cool

OPMV is always interesting as people seem to react to it in different ways. From what I understand are you saying that the virus itself could not be potentially fatal but instead it could catalyse a differet pathogenic bacterial or viral infection? Or that they could work synergistically?

I have heard of collections containing OPMV that still feed and breed exceptionally well and that if proper quarantine conditions are implied there seemed to be no reason to be overtly worried about the virus itself with many of the animals living years with fairly high counts. Have you had to diagnose many animals with this virus? How did the condition develop?

Cheers

James Cool
vetdave
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one really knows exactly what causes the fatal cases we see. Ok certainly the OMPV is part of the puzzle but it's not as straightforward as say IBD. Further work over time may clarify the position further I guess...we'll have to wait and see.
As far as it being in the Uk...yes there are cases in the Uk. The most common presentation is a respiratory problem that fails to respond to antibiotics. In such cases OMPV is always a consideration as being 'in the mix' but all you can do is concentrate on the bacterial aspect of any infection.
Dave
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this article, thought it was a very good account and wanted to share it with those who haven't seen it.

It is a bit long, but it documents the progress of the infection from collection to collection exceptionally well.

http://www.smuggled.com/OPMV3F.htm

The realisation that there may be several types of OPMV is quite simply common sense as I can't think of a specific virus that has no mutations and that don't have similar effects, and often on different species.

Also stating that the virus is not airborne is something reassuring, as long as your collection is clear of mites!

Personally I think infected survivors of OPMV should be euthanized asap to prevent further spread. The only drawback is the cost of testing, which should possibly be a requirement of sale/export, similar to registering a dog, or rabies vaccination. Talking of which, would an OMPV vaccination be a viable option? I know I would rather pay to have my animals vaccinated than watch them die a horrific death.

Al
slippery42
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: another take on this Reply with quote

I had a detailed talk with a well know vet who came to complete my DWA license (passed OK by the way) and his slant is very interesting.

When discussing the arrival of the first of my ordered DWA species I was asked by him if i routinely screen for paramyxovirus and I admitted I only quarantine incoming due to costs.

He has informed me that he sees a high level of infection across the board and believes it is more common than most people would realize.

He also indicates that from is experience animals coming in from the USA are regularly infected and that it will become widespread with some animals purely acting as carriers whilst other will die.

When asked if it would be a good idea to cull infected animals he indicated it would be easier to keep collections where it is present and known rather than kill 'em all.

Food for thought?????

Using Nikon D300's and pro lenses
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: another take on this Reply with quote

slippery42 wrote:
I had a detailed talk with a well know vet who came to complete my DWA license (passed OK by the way) and his slant is very interesting.

When discussing the arrival of the first of my ordered DWA species I was asked by him if i routinely screen for paramyxovirus and I admitted I only quarantine incoming due to costs.

He has informed me that he sees a high level of infection across the board and believes it is more common than most people would realize.

He also indicates that from is experience animals coming in from the USA are regularly infected and that it will become widespread with some animals purely acting as carriers whilst other will die.

When asked if it would be a good idea to cull infected animals he indicated it would be easier to keep collections where it is present and known rather than kill 'em all.

Food for thought?????

this is the thoughts of my own vet. and to be honest, i dont know if i would want to kill my snakes if they were not suffering. he actually knows people with this in thier collection, and its managed very well. quarintine and hygiene must be off the highest quality though.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: another take on this Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
slippery42 wrote:

Food for thought?????

this is the thoughts of my own vet. and to be honest, i dont know if i would want to kill my snakes if they were not suffering. he actually knows people with this in thier collection, and its managed very well. quarintine and hygiene must be off the highest quality though.

He thinks that its far easier to be open about it and accept that if you have a collection with the infection then keep it! If you get my drift!!

Using Nikon D300's and pro lenses
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: another take on this Reply with quote

slippery42 wrote:
Lynne wrote:
slippery42 wrote:

Food for thought?????

He thinks that its far easier to be open about it and accept that if you have a collection with the infection then keep it! If you get my drift!!

i do. we discussed it at length when that scare was going around, and i was asking what precautions to take. was quite an interesting talk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: