Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lincs herping...........
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some nice photos looks like you had some good finds.
jamie_s
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pics mate Wink looks like you had a fun day out
stuartdouglas
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Reckless Reply with quote

slippery42 wrote:
Sorry mate but that is stupid adder image I've seen in years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you get bitten and it ends up in the press (they have ways of find out) it gives the Adder a bad press.

Working in conservation and particularly with Adders for 20
+ years and having been bitten (my fault) in the past I would NEVER free handle one as its plain stupid.

Just because an Adder seems calm does not mean its not going to tag you..Fact!!!

To publish the image of you free handling one is reckless and offers a very poor view.

Sorry if this ticks you and anyone else off but act like a fool you'll get called one!!!!!!!!!!!

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Not ticked off at all, you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. However, I would put my 30+ years of herping up against your 20+ years and say that I would not free handle any snake, hot or otherwise unless I was confident that I could "read" its disposition and react appropriately. There are, and have been, several snakes that I would not even consider free handling, including some "normal" non-venomous species, simply because they are/were too highly strung and the risk of being bitten was too great. I do not take "foolhardy" risks, and certainly would not say that V berus is completely ok to pick up and handle, but I guess because I don't wear khaki and jump around shouting "crikey" a lot then I don't have what it takes to decide for myself what constitutes a minimal risk. If other people decide to pick Adders up based upon seeing that photo, well, they're probably just as likely to be the ones sticking forks in toasters, crossing busy roads blindfolded and flying kites in thunderstorms. As I said, your opinion is duly noted and if the mods want me to remove that picture and/or put a disclaimer up, then that's fine. Very Happy

Edit: FFS, don't go picking these animals up. If I get bit, then it's my own fault or just plain bad luck.
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed posting this picture is a bit silly, it does encourage the wrong behaviour, you must realise this or else you wouldn't have put the disclaimer in about getting shouted at, which makes me wonder about your motivation for posting the picture. Confused No good can come of it other than to show that some venomous snakes are sometimes not trying to bite you, all the time. I don't think the picture should be deleted from the post, I think its a bit embarrassing. Embarassed
Having said this, I do think there is a greater chance of being bitten by necking adders, and also damaging the snake. IMHO (and I too have been catching adders for over 20 years) an adder never needs to be necked, quite simple. If you are moving the animal at all, simply tailing it or better still using a hook is far better than getting the pointy bits near the soft fleshy bits. Laughing Can anyone give me a good reason for necking an adder in the wild?
That single fang is a beauty at getting its target, uncanny even. Please don't neck adders, they don't deserve it. Any bite or sting from a venomous animal can be serious, and yes some snakes are freehandled at the risk of the handler.
(WARNING A BIT GRUESOME!)
http://www.cobraman.net/6955.html
Do make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom. Twisted Evil

Al
stuartdouglas
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic, but it really does crack me up, guys like Ray Hunter and Steve Irwin are revered almost for their freehandling of hots in circumstances which are beyond any form of acceptable risk. Yet, because I'm not a tireless self-promoter, and don't appear on Worldwide TV, even though I have over 30 years of experience with herps of varying degrees of "biteyness" and venom, I'm slated for posting one picture of me holding what was an extremely docile specimen of a snake that is highly unlikely to kill me if it were to bite me.............If emptyheads choose to copy that...................well, they're probably already doing it anyway.
People post pictures of retic' bites etc and they display their scars to everyones amusement and admiration. It's those types of pictures that give herps a bad press, the papers would love printing articles about "pet" snakes that gave their owner bites that needed stitches. I would agree that if I posted pics of me holding a captive cobra or suchlike, then that would give the antis something to get their knickers in a twist about, however................
btw, any adders that I've caught to photograph are normally hooked and tailed, except for the one time I didn't have a hook and had to pin it with a stick. That was the one that tried to give me the single fang treatment Very Happy
But hey, I love a healthy debate.
slippery42
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: My final Comment Reply with quote

Stuart I dont know you and am not about to be drawn into a protracted argument about the free handling of any venomous reptile.

I stick by my view that it is poor practice and does no good for you and little good for the hobby and is not good for the well being of my favorite species.

You could do worse than listen to "Al" who I have had the pleasure of working with on a professional level.

Using Nikon D300's and pro lenses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: