Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ackie 'egg box'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madfrontosa
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Ackie 'egg box' Reply with quote

What size box do I need for ackies to lay in? - what I believe are two females have started burrowing with just a bit of tail sticking out - the box is around 15x10x12 high with around 7 inches playpit sand and natural peat - I really compress this down.

Do they lay eggs at bottom of burrow, or in a pit and leave them - do attempt to cover eggs up?

any advice - experience - pictures would be most welcomed.

Need to go and play in the snow now - cheers John - Fleetwood Lancs
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
that box size sounds fine, they will dig a tunnel down to the bottom and lay there, then cover it up again. Good luck.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Madfrontosa
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Scott

This would appear to be what they are doing - I will just try to make sure I check them regular - unfortunately I am working quire long hours - and so do not always see them all every day.

What I have noticed is that 2 seem to sometimes burrow - down the same burrow?
the other morning it looked as though the male was standing guard over the hole in the laminate I have covered the box with?

How long would eggs be OK with in the box - it is reasonable damp - and slap bang in the middle of the viv - and don't think it should get too cold?

Cheers for response - I would just love to hatch some ackies this year - it would mean so much after growing them on
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ackies seem to quite like to stay in the humid tunnels for quite a while, I sometimes find 3 or 4 in there.

As for the eggs, no idea, I guess it all depends on temps, humidity levels, and damage by other monitors, obviously the sooner you get them under a more controlled environment the more chance of hatching them.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: