Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

varanus prasinus (breeding)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VaranusCam
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: varanus prasinus (breeding) Reply with quote

Hi im looking to breed my varanus prasinus this year but i cant find any info on how to cycle them of stimulate them into breeding e.g temp drops higher humidity can anyone help me out here
thanks
LeeWarren
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reduced photoperiod from 14 hours down to 10 and left this cycle going for 2 months. Temps never changed.

Once back to normal misting were increased.

2 eggs were found last Wednesday on the floor, she didn't use her nest box (these were to dried out to save). I did notice her digging around in a plant pot just prior to laying. Was a bit gutted about the eggs, but the way she is eating Im expecting another larger clutch.

I was very surprised by the size of the eggs, over 2 inches in length.

The male has not fed for around 3 - 4 weeks. Copulation was not witnessed.
VaranusCam
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what humidity percentage did u keep them at when u lowerd the photopiriod and what was the humidity percentage when u increased it. thanks
LeeWarren
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mist the viv at all within the 2 months. I would say the humidity was around 40 - 50%.

Then once photoperiod was back to 14 hours I misted throughout the day. Humidity was going upto 100%. I always let the enclosure dry out between mistings.

I know another breeder who never mists his viv and keeps them practically dry with good results.

I think as long as you have a healthy pair the enclosure is kept clean and they are well fed they should breed for you.

Its getting the eggs from the female to the incubator that seems to be the problem.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Mikes Monitors
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bred my Prasinus and Beccari, I never changed the light cycle.
14 hours on, I would feed the heck out of the females and they would cycle...then it's all on the male.
Never had any problems there though!
I would litterally spray them down daily...sometime twice daily;
My custom enclosures would allow for that much spraying.
I found that once a female started a cycle she would cycle every 3 months!! Like clock work!
Feed your female real heavy, a bunch of small prey items at a time daily.
With all of the extra energy they get they start to cycle, it all about how much food intake they get.
Mike
VaranusCam
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i ask u guys how u incubated the eggs I'm not to sure on an incubation method for the prasinus iv seen no substrate methods on the net but I'm not sure if its best to use substrate. how did u set up the incubator and what temps did u keep them at iv read some where that's its between 84 - 87F but then iv heard its to be kept at around 88 - 89F Can u help me out here ??
Mikes Monitors
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I incubate Varanids eggs(New Guinea) on #4 grade vermiculite, I get it wet(warm water) then hand wring it out till no more water drips.
Then I place it in an eggs box(plastic storage container) make depressions for the eggs, put the lid on the box and check them every other day. This allows for air transfer. My incubator runs year round at 86 to 88 degrees. This last clutch of Jobiensis eggs got as high as 90 degrees with a 100% hatch rate.
My incubator is an old mini fridge, the bottom drawer is full of water (3gal) with a small submersible fish tank heater.
Good luck!
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: