Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are moles vermin/protected?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vickie Lizard
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Are moles vermin/protected? Reply with quote

Is it legal to kill them? (for example on golf courses, farming land)
Is there any law to say that once you have collected a live mole, that its vermin, and should never be re-released? (similar to rats)
Im asking these questions as Id rather like to keep one, but dont know about the law.
I kept a gravid Sloworm last year, while work was being done in the next feild, Id read up on the law, so I knew I had to let her and her babies go, as soon as the work had been finished, and I have seen her basking since!
Any advise, on the subject would be greatly reccieved!
Thanks in advance1
1.2.0 Emperor Scorpions
+ lots of bugs!
Its always better to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission!!
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moles have no legal protection in the U.K. and are frequently regarded as pests by farmers, horticulturists and green-keepers. Surface tunnelling in newly planted fields may disturb plant roots so much that they will wilt and die. Mole hills cause damage to farm machinery. Mole hills also cause contamination of grass used to make silage.

At the beginning of the century moles were trapped in large numbers for their pelts but today they are killed as pests. This is done by trapping and poisoning. If traps are well maintained and set correctly death can be rapid, although not instantaneous. If the trap is old and rusty or set incorrectly, death is slow and painful. The poison most commonly used is strychnine. Strychnine is normally banned but it can be obtained for killing moles with written permission from the Ministry of Agriculture. Permission is only given to experienced users. Mole tunnels are baited with poisoned worms. Death by strychnine poisoning is slow and agonizing and strychnine is highly dangerous to other wildlife, domestic animals and humans.

Moles can be beneficial to man, preying on many harmful insect larvae such as cockchafers and carrot fly, while tunnels can help drain and aerate heavy soils.

I imagine keeping moles in captivity would be rather difficult to achieve. I doubt that they would appreciate the stale dry air of an indoor environment, and if their needs were adequately met in an outdoor enclosure, I doubt that they would lend themselves to observation without the use of intricate subterranean camera equipment.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Vickie Lizard
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply, I have since found the site, giving me all the information!
Think I may have to abondon the idea, alas, poor moles, thought Id save one from the local greens-keeper! Wink Nevermind!
1.2.0 Emperor Scorpions
+ lots of bugs!
Its always better to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: