Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kearsley Tropicals Reptile Supplies/Shop - Awful!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Breeder / Suppliers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paplan
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Kearsley Tropicals Reptile Supplies/Shop - Awful! Reply with quote

Visited this shop in Kearsley near Bolton over the bank holiday and was disgusted. Apart from the miserable man in the shop who doesn't even acknowledge customers, the conditions the animals are kept in are cramped to say the least.
There were 2 Caiman (or crocodillian of some description) in seperate tanks (fish tanks) the same length of their bodies, so no room to turn, come out of the water and bask etc.
Numerous underweight Gecko species, and tanks with mixed snake species - boids and colubrids together?
Too many things to mention, it is a tiny room at the back of a tiny shop, where too many animals are crammed into vivs that are too small.
This shop does advertise on the web, you would do well to visit the shop before thinking of buying from there.
Blackhead
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Kearsley Tropicals Reptile Supplies/Shop - Awful! Reply with quote

In reply to your incorrect comments regarding the pet shop in Bolton, I would like to ask if you have any experience keeping reptiles at all? And did you spend longer than 5 minutes in the shop? The "crocodillian of some description" was actually a spectacled caiman and the conditions that u are supposed to keep them were suited to their size at the time.

The "miserable man" in the back has 50 years experience in handling all reptiles venomous and non venomous, and patiently puts up with time wasters in the shop. Did you ask for any help or advice? Myself and many of my friends have visited the shop over the years and he has always been more than helpful and offers sound advice.

The shop has been open for 26+ years. He supplies reptiles to most of the large zoos in the UK not to mention the other pet shops nationally who frequently buy their stock off him.

The numerous geckos that you speak about are imported from other countries, they often arrive in poor health due to the transportation or picking methods and are actually cared for and nurtured in the shop. Plus visits from one of the leading vets in the UK.

I will agree that the shop is small, but looks are deceiving. I am disgusted that these comments have been on here so long before i have seen them. the shop and its owner have a good reputation regionally and nationally.

I would suggest to anyone reading this to disregard the above entry and visit the shop for themselves
ultimate_boides
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Blackhead" you seem very for this shop, how strong are your ties to this shop it just seems very funny how Paplan would comment on this and waste time for it to be wrong and to mis-inform people.

Quote:
The "crocodillian of some description" was actually a spectacled caiman and the conditions that u are supposed to keep them were suited to their size at the time.

If an animal such as a spectacled caimen doesn't have room to turn nor bask i cannot see how you can comment on being correct, that's rubbish, i have kept caimen and found them to be relatively active and were provided with a large area to bask and to bathe in.

Quote:
The "miserable man" in the back has 50 years experience in handling all reptiles venomous and non venomous, and patiently puts up with time wasters in the shop. Did you ask for any help or advice? Myself and many of my friends have visited the shop over the years and he has always been more than helpful and offers sound advice.

So because paplan walked into the shop and didn't ask he was a time waster, things like £££ first spring to mind there, because he wasn't spending he wasn't worth the time of day. I'm sorry I've worked in a reptile shop and other establishments and walking in to a smile and a hello certainly helps to a better customer experience.

Could you post the name of the shop owner, not to slate just you rate him so highly through handling skills someone on here is bound to be able to defend him is he is as good as you say.

Just my two pennies worth but i get the strong suspicion this is your shop and its you commenting on the shop or are trying to gain bonus points if the owner reads it.

I may be wrong and if so i apologize.
H.S.
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the date of the original thread, the unhappy experience in the store happened nearly 18months ago.
I wonder, has Paplan been back to see if anything has changed?
Maybe a revisit and if things are still considered bad, then a friendly chat with the owner to discuss the conditions would be a good start.
I find that different people have very different expectations of reptile stores, and also different opinions with regards reptile husbandry techniques.
Blackhead
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record no i am not the shop owner and i haven't any close ties with the shop. I do agree the original quote was 18 months ago and that things might have changed or that it may have been a one off bad experience. However, every time i have been up in the north and visited the shop over the past couple of years i have had a pleasant experience and found to get sound advice. The shop is slightly retro and the owner is relaxed in his approach to customers (meaning he doesn't hassle them not pound signs as previously suggested). I feel this adds more to the character of the shop.

Each to their own, as previously mentioned i would suggest people visit the shop and make their own opinions.
htf666
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the comments from Blackhead.I have used the shop a few times and never had a problem.Like the man says the owner leaves you alone but is very helpful when needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Breeder / Suppliers All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: