Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gutloading...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Gutloading... Reply with quote

I have always fed my crix a mix of bran and fresh veggies (they have seasonal christmas veg mix at the mo Very Happy ) and then I dust them with pure calcium. Are there any high calcium foods I can feed them?? I have used that bug grub stuff before but wasn't sure it was good enough for me me to cut out calcium dusting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feeding them veggies is good but loose the bran as its too high in Phosphorus, the bug grub does increase the calcium a little but not enough to cut out additional dusting. Carob flour is a very high calcium food and because of its chocolate flavour its readily eaten by feeder insects and it also contains other beneficial properties. Very Happy
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So lose the bran and get some carob flour, lovely Very Happy Should I keep dusting with calcium as well once I get some carob flour?

Cheers!
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definately stop using bran. i have read that people who have tried to lose weight by adding lots of wheat bran to their diet, can have problems absorbing calcium in the diet. This is because there is some sort of inhibitor in bran which makes calcium absorbtion difficult. This is likely to be the same with reptiles I should think ? For high calcium intake I would suggest use veggies such as kale and other dark green cabbages, and dandelion also is VERY good. Also suggest tomato and carrot for beta carotenes. While gutloading I wouldn't advice using cereals at all. Its generally not very natural. If you want to use cereals then chicken mash or ground up chicken pellets (both food for chickens, not made from chickens !) are both high in calcium.

It is impossible to say whether you need to still dust with calcium, it depends on what you are feeding, what type of lighting you have, and so many other factors. You would need to give more details !!
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark that was really helpful. I'm feeding 6 leos which do not have UV, I will one day get round to changing that, a blue tongue, an ackie and a swift all with UV.

I have been feeding my insects mostly carrot and kale and I have now cut out the bran. I will try and get hold of some Carob flour too. I'll keep dusting with calcium for the time being!

Thanks! Cool
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: calcium Reply with quote

Personally I wonder where leopard geckos get the D3 in the wild they need to absorb calcium (so it is said). I keep some outdoors in a very natural way, and I have never seen them bask in sunshine, so wouldn't bother with UV lights for them. I mix pure calcium 50/50 with a calcium/d3 vitamin mix like Nutrobal. This dilutes the D3 down a bit. Then I dust the bugs with this mix every 3rd or 4th meal.

With the other species I would recommend a high UV output bulb 8% for the ackie and swift which both bask naturally alot in intense sunshine. I would recommend calcium still in the diet. It is my theory that these types of sunloving reptile need a lot of calcium simply because they are so poor at absorbing calcium in captivity due to the limitatations of the artificial UV lighting. I would give calcium at least twice a week.

By the way dried figs are high in calcium too. I have not tried them with my feeder insects yet. Also when I said dandelions also recommend clover and hawkweeds too.
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: calcium Reply with quote

mark68 wrote:
Personally I wonder where leopard geckos get the D3 in the wild they need to absorb calcium (so it is said). I keep some outdoors in a very natural way, and I have never seen them bask in sunshine, so wouldn't bother with UV lights for them.

I have two theorys on this, i read somewhere apparently humans only need 15 minuites of good sunshine a day for there body to produce enough vit d, so i imagine a small nocturnal gecko would have evolved to require less D3 than a durinal lizard of the same size and so can maybe recieve enough by just going near its burrow entrance and soak up what light is being bounced down its tunnel or maybe just exposing itself in the first ray of sunshine in the morning for a couple of minuites.

The other is maybe they recieve the small amount they need from there diet, imagine the huge range of food a wild leopard gecko would eat and then the even greater range of what those insects eat. Bee pollen, wild mushrooms contain small amounts of vitamin d- although i dont know if these are VitaminD2 and if they are dont think they can be converted to D3, and then there are the insects that feed on animal carcasses and so would get so me vit d there also.

Im really interested in this subject as i feel there is so much more to learn in this area of nutrition for reptiles.
Also mark would love to see pictures of your outdoor setup on another thread.

Also Miffikins i would continue to dust occasionally with the calcium even when you are feeding them the high calcium diet as you wont do any harm as calcium is water soluble and so you cant overdose by dusting unlike with the vitamins. Very Happy
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jas
the "bouncing UV light" theory makes some sense. I have a UVB meter and its incredible how little UVB a lot of "high output UV" tubes emit compared to sunshine even in the UK. I know of a breeder who produces 1000's of lizards each year, but does not use any vitamins or even calcium supplements. The bugs he breeds himself get mixed veg/fruit and a little bread only as food. The eggs the lizards produce hatch well I think because the lizards are able to efficiently absorb the the calcium from the "gutloaded" insects because they live in sunshine and do not have internal parasite problems. I hadn't thought about the possibility of the D3 in insects that eat carrion. That also makes sense ! I have read that D2, the human artificially made form of vit D (made with the help of a fungus) CANNOT be absorbed by reptiles.

Trying to keep lizards indoors, and getting the D3/calcium levels right is a very difficult balancing act. Especially when you are trying to get the lizards to produce D3 themselves via UV lights. I think you are right in that in reality it is difficult to overdose on calcium, but easy to overdose on Nutrobal and similar vitamins that were developed when D3 tubes were a tenth of the power they are now.

I will post some pics soon on another thread, of my outdoor enclosures. We have just started working on new 2x2 metre enclosures. We plan to make 9 of these before April, with another 9 to come later this year.
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark68 wrote:
Hi Jas
the "bouncing UV light" theory makes some sense. I have a UVB meter and its incredible how little UVB a lot of "high output UV" tubes emit compared to sunshine even in the UK. I know of a breeder who produces 1000's of lizards each year, but does not use any vitamins or even calcium supplements. The bugs he breeds himself get mixed veg/fruit and a little bread only as food. The eggs the lizards produce hatch well I think because the lizards are able to efficiently absorb the the calcium from the "gutloaded" insects because they live in sunshine and do not have internal parasite problems.

I use a UVB meter to check when my lamps need replacing and have got higher readings taken outside on an overcast day than some of my new UVB tubes, that was when i started to look more into the diet side of things.
If Bert is the breeder you are referring to i know he also puts fruit in some of his enclosures to attract wild insects into them to help vary the diet of his lizards.
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Bert is the breeder. I spent a week living with him and Hester, in August this year on his farm. It was an amazing experience. His baby lizards in particular get alot of wild food, fruit flies, and larger flies brought in by the tomatoes and other fruit/veg put in the enclosures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: