Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feeding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sean37
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Feeding. Reply with quote

Not had my water monitor that long and was just wondering what you all think of his diet and tips on improving it? Giving him mice, prawns, fish and chicks at the moment and he's eating well. Any advice welcome.

Sean.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good variety will keep it active and interested.

You tried adult locust? they will give him something to chase.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
sean37
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Scott. Will get him some locusts. We are currently feeding him a little every day, would you continue like this or go for larger amounts every two to three days?

Sharon
DeanThorpe
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is by the looks of it of quite a size, id think every 2-3 days would be about right as he hasnt any weight issues or illness [by the sounds of it] to overcome.
Eyed Lizard
Leo's
Tokay's
Cresties
Garg
Berber skinks
Ocltd Skinks
Uro acanthinurus
Fiji Iguana's
oplurus cyclurus+Cuvieri
Collard's
Long Tailed Lizards
Dwarf Sungazers
Water dragon
Corn's
Royal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bohan
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I had a water monitor for nearly ten years or lets say 18 ich to 72+inch and he did exeptionallly well on B craniferer cockroaches as a base diet, i fed him also every crustation i could find, i took green shore crabs to expensive languistines, road kill squirrels n rabbit to bits of the odd rta fox & badger, he would quite happily,quickly and easily dispatch a 3lb live eel(easier said than done) or engulf a 6lb deep hooked (happens v v v very rarely) pike (i love pike) dead pets(from less enabled friends) even picked the chicken out of a curry, i know that the best food/diet he could have regardless of everything else was the insect based diet, until he was of sufficient size to deal and digest every thing else. Very Happy

2.0.0 Varanus glauerti.
1.1.0 Varanus a brachyurus.
1.1.0 Chlamydosaurus kingii.
1.3.4 Lacerta vivipera.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: