Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lemon yellow tree frogs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: lemon yellow tree frogs? Reply with quote

Morning all,

Just wondering about my lemon yellow hylia tree frogs..

These are growing really well and seem to love their huge aquarium, I have no idea how old they are or when they will be ready to breed but I have a feeling it cant be that far off..

anyone know what I should provide for them to encourage breeding and for them to breed in?

the literature I have read is a little vague and points towards stagnant ponds which I can easily provide, but there is nothing really specific I can see about captivity.

thanks again
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most tree frogs need a cycle reduce humidity over a couple weeks and reduce food also... then spray like a mad man and feed heavy.

provide large leaved plants for them (you can even cut a leaf off a cheese plant and use those Wink )

A rain chamber might be needed tho.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ wrote:
Most tree frogs need a cycle reduce humidity over a couple weeks and reduce food also... then spray like a mad man and feed heavy.

provide large leaved plants for them (you can even cut a leaf off a cheese plant and use those Wink )

A rain chamber might be needed tho.

ok well I think I will give it a try in the next few months, we use simulated rain to try and get the mountain chickens at my zoo to try and breed.. certainly makes them sing!

I can easily put in a cheeseplant leaf or plant some new things in there, humidity may be a little more tricky to reduce but will give it a go.. they eat like pigs too so no trouble reducing that.

thanks Mj
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To reduce humidity cut back on your spraying it's as easy as that Wink

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ wrote:
To reduce humidity cut back on your spraying it's as easy as that Wink

hehe it should be I guess, but when I stop spraying for a week the humidity doesnt even appear to drop in there!

I do have an alternate lid for the aquarium which is mesh and should reduce the humity more effectively.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its full mesh cover say half to 3/4's with plastic or something... you just want to reduce humidity not dry them to frog jerky Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: