Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ackie Growth charts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nelson
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Ackie Growth charts? Reply with quote

I bought my Ackie on the 3/12/05 and he was 10.5" TL and Ive just measured him and he's now 12.75" TL. An increase of 2.25" in just over a month.

My question is, is that good/bad/normal? As I having real difficlties finding out average growth rates (or charts) on the net.

Thanks.
Madfrontosa
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: growth rate Reply with quote

This is interesting, as I have been trying to ascertain exactly how stocky and long they grow.

I purchased 4 last April, from mixed clutches, and they have been in a 4x2x2. I would estimate that they were perhaps 6-7 inch but skinny.

They fed well and I presume got to around 10 inch, but again skinny with it.

The article I found in Reptile Care held a bit, but then it didn't as I needed detail. Anyway I looked at theis site and started to feed pinkies, this is where they really blossomed. I would estimate the largest one has put on 5/6 inches in the last 2 months. I feed probably 10 pinkies every 3 days, with crickets/locusts/wax worms on the others, with some days nothing - usually after a day on pinkies.

The major change I have seen is that they have changes shape, and seem alot more heavily boned, and 'square jawed'. They have also suddenly become a lot more less nervous and do not mind being picked up. Previously I had problems picking them up, firstly catching them, and holding them as they riddled too much.

I would imagine they are around one year old now, and have started to show some sexual activity, but I havnt got a clue as to sexes, nor how to sex them.

Anyone who has pictures of gravid females would be welcomed. I will be posting some pictures over the next week (going to Currys this morning to get a digi camera).

All in all facinating, but as per some other posts on the monitor section, I would estimate it costs a good £30 per month to feed em.

Very Happy
ReptileResort
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they get big lol my mums savana monitor is in a 13 ft by 5ft by 4ft viv takes up the whole width of her living room lol
3 Bearded Dragons - Sandie, Spike & Mue
1 Petri sand Gecko
1 Banded Gecko my daughters|15baby beardies
Nelson
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: growth rate Reply with quote

Madfrontosa wrote:
This is interesting, as I have been trying to ascertain exactly how stocky and long they grow.

I purchased 4 last April, from mixed clutches, and they have been in a 4x2x2. I would estimate that they were perhaps 6-7 inch but skinny.

They fed well and I presume got to around 10 inch, but again skinny with it.

The article I found in Reptile Care held a bit, but then it didn't as I needed detail. Anyway I looked at theis site and started to feed pinkies, this is where they really blossomed. I would estimate the largest one has put on 5/6 inches in the last 2 months. I feed probably 10 pinkies every 3 days, with crickets/locusts/wax worms on the others, with some days nothing - usually after a day on pinkies.

The major change I have seen is that they have changes shape, and seem alot more heavily boned, and 'square jawed'. They have also suddenly become a lot more less nervous and do not mind being picked up. Previously I had problems picking them up, firstly catching them, and holding them as they riddled too much.

I would imagine they are around one year old now, and have started to show some sexual activity, but I havnt got a clue as to sexes, nor how to sex them.

Anyone who has pictures of gravid females would be welcomed. I will be posting some pictures over the next week (going to Currys this morning to get a digi camera).

All in all facinating, but as per some other posts on the monitor section, I would estimate it costs a good £30 per month to feed em.

Very Happy

Useful thanks.

What sort of size are they now? Pictures would be of help.

At the moment mine has a pinky every other day and hoppers are always in the viv. This seems to be working with regards to filling out (without getting fat). I did start giving him a pinky a day but by the 3rd day he looked like a balloon animal!
ReptileResort
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol they do love to eat
1 Petri sand Gecko
Nelson
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReptileResort wrote:
they get big lol my mums savana monitor is in a 13 ft by 5ft by 4ft viv takes up the whole width of her living room lol

13x5x4? Christ and I thought my 8x2.5x2.5 for the beardies was big!

Luckily though, Ackies only get to about the 2ft ish mark so beardie size vivs are fine.
ReptileResort
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats it lol this is my mums savana a big boy i keep telling her hes over weight but she won't have it mothers ay

1 Petri sand Gecko
Madfrontosa
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

will have some pictures hopefully in next 10 days one I purchse a reasonable digital camera.

as for pinkies i put 10/12 in four the 4 of them darted around the viv so they all get some, I would then perhaps not feed the day after, and insect based the next day or two, it really depends on activity and if they are searching for food.

i have played it by ear really, but am chuffed with their progress.

if I bought a monitor that grew as large as the savannah i would have to move in the garage along with my planned reptile based renovation - but saying that if it was outside my darling wife wouldnt give a damn - all on my green/blue tree monitors - lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: